Someone stole my bike

got up to ride this morning and my bike was gone. it was strapped in the back of my truck next to my buddies yamaha. they cut the straps, took mine and left his.

anyway, i called the cops who said the "would look for it" and filed a claim with my insurance company.

i want to fu*#ing kill someone right now. :ride:

well that sucks. I can tell you how the insurance is handled.

The will appoint an adjuster to gather the facts

Depending on what State your in, progressive has up to 90 days to settle your claim

They will deduct tire wear from your claim, so when they ask, tell them your tires were 95% good.

If they are dragging their butts, keep scheduling meetings with the adjuster and try to keep him a couple of hours at each one, but be nice. Progressive pays the adjuster by the task or by the hour, so if they see the adjusting expenses going up on the claim, they will settle it sooner. Make sure you waste lots of his time.

Good Luck

thanks guys.

assuming everything works out with insurance the way it should, i'm thinking of getting an SM as a replacement (had an S). i'm moving to boston and i'll have a very short commute (15 miles at the most), and i think most of the off-road stuff i'll be doing would just be dirt roads.

how is the SM in the dirt?

Mklang,I hope your bike is found soon.I also had a new SM stolen last summer when it was only 4 days old.I had Progressive and they really suck.It was like NO insurance.Just legal paperwork to let you ride on the road.It was pretty much as Rainman stated.I settled and repaired my bike but it took a long time.The adjusters actually accused me of arranging to steal my own bike for the insurance money.Morons.The damn bike had no lien whatsoever as I paid cash.I lost quite a bit of money in the end.Get rid of Progressive after this is over.I know their rates are attractive but their service is non-existent.I am now with Markel.

You have all my sympathy (can't take that to the bank, but everyone who post here feels for you). :ride:

The insurance company will first contact Law Enforcement to see that you did file a report (unless you give them report number). Then it turns into waiting game. i would hound insurance company, because you're just a number to them

I was for a few year a Police Officer in Northern California, and I went to the oddest stolen vehicle call...It was a 1998 Jaguar convertible green with tan leather interior. It was parked on the main street (guy lived on corner of a main through fare and residential street) with the top down keys in the ignition and alarm not set. After every question I asked I thought to my self fraud and his answerer's confirmed my suspicions. Who the hell parks a 40-50K car with the top down keys in the ignition and alarm off overnight and expects it to be there two days latter

Anyone here have LOWJACK???

Aye i just saw and picked up a flyer for the bike lowjack. Think it could be hidden at all on our bike tho were it wouldn't get seen/riped off fairly quick?

I looked into the Lojack when I bought my bike, it's not recommended for dirt bikes, street only.

From the lojack website:

Due to vehicle battery size and riding conditions, LoJack does not recommend that the unit be installed on ATV, dirt or scooter motorcycles. If the unit is installed in these motorcycles, the warranty will be void due to improper installation.

Bike ripped off. Progressive.

Lost 1500 USD on a bike that was less than 1 year old.

Not sure any other company would have done better. Insurance companies are evil.

They low balled me for 1 month until I demanded that we go through arbitration.

Did I mention it sucked?

Bike ripped off. Progressive.

Lost 1500 USD on a bike that was less than 1 year old.

Not sure any other company would have done better. Insurance companies are evil.

They low balled me for 1 month until I demanded that we go through arbitration.

Did I mention it sucked?

great. what do you mean 'go through arbitration'?

jamesp - it was ripped off in wyoming

i just spoke with the adjuster. they said they wait 30 days to see if the bike is recovered and then they make the payout on the 30th day. this sucks. i feel like i am going to get screwed. either way i probably won't have a bike when i'm done because most of the money will just go to pay off this one.

Well, you can finance again after the S is paid off. Expect you'll be paid what a dealer would give you for the bike - not retail because it's the lower of cost or market. 'Market' is what a dealer will pay you unless you have a policy which specifies declared value or other wording which gives you retail. Unless something strange happens, you won't get enough money to buy a bike.

For example, a 3 year old DRZ S is worth about 3-3.5k usually to buy one from a private seller or a dealer at retail. A dealer will give you maybe 2,400. I'd expect to get 2,400 from my insurance and then you have deductible.

On a bright note, a DRZ SM is an ideal bike for Boston (if you can stand Boston - I couldn't). I've ridden two Super Motos on dirt roads, firmly packed trails, etc. and fond they worked well. You have the limitations from the tires, but you'd have that with your stock Wings too.

You can go on dirt roads with SM tires if you want....but it is like riding on ice...slippery as hell.

I rode across a bean field behind my house...never hooked up at all. Later I rode through a new development in my neighborhood. Same deal.

The S is a better all around bike. If you want the best of both worlds...get the S and buy a SM kit for it.