Vortex Ignition

A couple of months ago I order a VORTEX programmable ignition for my WRF that also has a YZFcamshaft and Procircuit pipe as well as releaved airfilter installed. I tried to different posionts on the CDI unit as well as toggling on the barmount switsch that allows you to switch from chosen map to MAP10 which is the base map for the WRF. I consider myself a technical rider at high level, but absolutely noticed no difference whatsoever! :ride: Are there other riders here on this forum with similar experiences (or solutions) I believe Vortex is a respected company but I sincerely expected more (or something)

I have only ever used Dynatek ignitions on my ATV's, and you could tell a difference for sure. On the Vortex, don't they have a "traction map"? I have seen a map on a yfz(atv) ignition from Vortex that basicall had no advance up to about 8000rpm. I'm pretty sure you'd be able to tell a difference then!

Or, since their CDI's are fully programmable (serial) then maybe it's accidentally loaded with identical curves?

Does the Vortex unit come with the software to allow you to remap the ign curve yourself ?

If not I see that there is a bar mount two position switch. Are there only two modes of does the rotary switch on the unit provide more?

Thanks

Does the Vortex unit come with the software to allow you to remap the ign curve yourself ?

If not I see that there is a bar mount two position switch. Are there only two modes of does the rotary switch on the unit provide more?

Thanks

I agree somewhat with the first post, the Vortex on the 06 WR does not make a huge difference, but you can notice where the power is produced in the RPM range. Eg. Traction maps (3 of) lessen the mid range hit whilst the "aggressive" maps (2 of) give the bike an almost 2 stroke surge. There are 4 other "type specific" Maps for 03/04/05 with YZ cams, but none specifically for the 06 - Why??

The STD X10 for the 450 WR is for WR 03-06, ie. implying the motor has not changed, fair enough. ALL provided Maps raise the RPM limit from OEM 10800 to 11700. For a heavily modded high RPM motor, this is where the potential power gains lie (IMO).

It comes with a handle bar 2 position switch marked Map 1 OR X10. Map 1 is Best Power and the other X10 position is one you preselect via a tiny arrowed screw in the base of the unit. As the name implies, 10 maps are selectable. Including Best Power - which of course is Permanently on the other setting; Map 1.

No, you unfortunately are NOT provided with programming software. You get the supplied Maps. BUT, I believe authorized suppliers can have access to programming tools - plug and play type, however I have not confirmed this. It was mentioned to me in discussion with a distributer for Vortex.

My 02 worth :ride:

Re: The two stroke surge you speak of, is that the point where the ign timing advances?

Is so, is it advancing timing eariler than the grey wire mod?

Also, it sounds like you hae one of these. In your opinion, is ti worth the $$ for a 06 model?

Is it a construecte well? It looks like the arrowed screw adjustment may be compromized if wet.

Lastly, It looks like the X-10 for a WR450 03 - 06 uses a 3D map. i guess that means the TPS must be connected.

Thanks !

Re: 1. The two stroke surge you speak of, is that the point where the ign timing advances?

2. Is so, is it advancing timing eariler than the grey wire mod?

Also, it sounds like you hae one of these. In your opinion, is ti worth the $$ for a 06 model?

3. Is it a construecte well? It looks like the arrowed screw adjustment may be compromized if wet.

Lastly, It looks like the X-10 for a WR450 03 - 06 uses a 3D map.4. i guess that means the TPS must be connected.

Thanks !

Yes I do have one, had it for three weeks so not much experience with it. In short: easy to install, top quality product, works "as advertised"

Answers to above:

1. There is much more of an "explosive" HIT with the agressive maps - far more than grey wire alone (IMO). My guess is about 4000 rpm the bike seems to be held back (retarded gnition) then just takes OFF. Like a 2 stroke coming into the power band. Another guess is that it is not producing MORE power, it just feels like it.

2. As above, I think more advance but probably a little earlier? Something that is hard to verify "seat of the Pants"- no DYNO for me...The Traction maps are way smooth, I found #4 very good with rich jetting but have not fiddled much since I raised the needle clip (MJ168/pilot48/JDRed4) 28C/80RH. IMO, the 06 has a very nice ignition curve with the grey wire pulled. The X10 allows you to have more or less agressive blend into the midrange than the OEM. I "feel" all the maps end up at the same top end - hard to know/feel because you are ready to upshift anyway. Initially, I thought the X10 was a little "rough" in the lower RPM, emailed Vortex but no reply?? IMO- my opinion only...not worth the $ unless you race.

3. Very nicely made and about 3/5 the size/ weight of the original - better finish but you have to like Yellow. The screw is under the unit and has a water proof ( so they say) snap-on, hinged, soft rubber cover. Wont get wet IMO. Its is a good quality plastic well fitted arrowed screw.

4. Wiring - Interesting this: 3 wires input/outputs in the clear loom are missing in the X10: The Grey (well we knew that!) the Blue with Black stripe and the White. All others are there including TPS inputs. So, what are those for? I have my own theory on that, Vortex would not reply to an email on that..

So, my bottom line on this is for the 06 WR, probably not worth the $ unless you have spare CA$h: I have/ did have - this is my only real Toy!

IMO, I think it would be better/more transparent if Vortex made same new maps for the 06, maybe the Original OEM 06 - which is good (maybe this is Map 1 anyway, Best Power, who knows), they seem to concentrate on the 03/04/05. Just put a sticker on it to say 03-06...

Having said all the above. Many attest that it is a fine product. The quality IS top notch, starting may be a fraction easier and the spark is said to be stronger, so who am I to say otherwise :banana:

I'll post pics if anyone interested :ride: