1700 r.p.m. at idle?

Does anyone run their bike at 1700 at idle? Although the owner's manual recommmends it, it does seem high. If I run my idle r.p.m. this high what changes should I expect in performance?

Does anyone run their bike at 1700 at idle? Although the owner's manual recommmends it, it does seem high. If I run my idle r.p.m. this high what changes should I expect in performance?

Mine idles between 1000 - 1200 rpms.

Mine idles between 1200 - 1400 rpms.

By running a high idle, you'll reduce the chance of stalling in a low speed corner when you're tired and lazy with the clutch. However, one thing that you may or may not like is that it will reduce the amount of engine braking going into corners, as the bike will basically pull itself into the corner as if you're giving it a tiny amount of throttle all the time.

I never set my idle at what the manual recommends for any bike or quad. I adjust it by feel, and try to get my preferred combination of engine braking and stall resistance. I'll even change the idle based on track conditions.

Basically, try a few different settings and see what you like the feel of.

By running a high idle, you'll reduce the chance of stalling in a low speed corner when you're tired and lazy with the clutch. However, one thing that you may or may not like is that it will reduce the amount of engine braking going into corners, as the bike will basically pull itself into the corner as if you're giving it a tiny amount of throttle all the time.

I never set my idle at what the manual recommends for any bike or quad. I adjust it by feel, and try to get my preferred combination of engine braking and stall resistance. I'll even change the idle based on track conditions.

Basically, try a few different settings and see what you like the feel of.

mines right at 1850, I like it a bit higher..

Second that. It allows for alot more range on the rear brake pressure without stalling. :busted:

Relying on compression braking...?

Just say NO to coasting! :ride:

yes these things work better with a higher idle for hard charging mx,

i set most all the bikes up 1700 to 1800 at least,

mine is alittle over 1800.

this is set up at the track when stink hot , :banana:

i assume u guys r using some sort of engine tach 2 set ur idle. where did u get it and how much?

i have an old strobe for checking rpm,s of diesels and or tail rotor and or rotor blade rpm,s in aviation.( and i will set it up and time through the left timing hole)

i believe you can get an old reed tach lawn mower tach also if you want ,

or you can hook up any old tach of an old junk analogue automotive tester or self powering timing light.

my snap on timing light will work also,

you just have to make sure you can switch modes and or do the math ,

because some old 4 stroke equipment is only set up for one ignition fire per one 4 stroke cycle,

and these race bike fire twice per one 4 stroke cycle, :ride:

but none the less its easy to screw with.

but you need to really check it while coming off the track stink hot ,

these things will change rpm 6 or 700 from cold to stink hot running on the track.

mine runs about 11 to 1200 when first warming up to puking coolant ,

then out on the track when it really gets warmed up it comes in idling around 1850 or 1900 or so