Sign in to follow this  

My first bike 94 yz250

00459473304.jpg

well I am getting my first bike this Friday!! cant wait, its a 1994 yz250 2 stroke. just had the top redone with all paper work original owner. but before I buy it anything I should know? engine problems, sounds I should be aware of please let me know thanks.

:ride: Wow thats a great looking bike, I hope you/they just got back from riding though. I love the black plastics, have you ridden be for? Not to sure if its the best beginner bike unless you have some riding experience. Good luck

hey thanks man, yeah he told me that he had just taken it out and it kicked over on the first try. I saw it bike looks super clean no real scratches on the engine or frame, plastics dirty but he said he would have the bike looking perfect when I came back on Friday to pick it up.

that loooks so good for a 94. How much if you dont mind me asking?

its posted for 1500 but i dont have the balls to even ask to drop the price even $100

The bike looks great....dont go kill yourself your first time out. In the future dont be scared to offer someone less than their asking....The worst they could say is no, and if they say no raise your offer a lil more and so on...I picked up my 426 for $2000 the guy was asking 2800 hehe I was shocked and almost felt bad when he said ok.....almost

That bike looks good, I just got my first bike and it is a YZ 250. They are fast, like everyone says don't kill yourself on the first time out. Remember throttle control on two strokes.

heck yea! well... I told him like last week I wanted the bike but since I don't get my commission check till the 20th I wouldn't be able to pick it up till then but I wanted the bike. but now that I type this I think he could still sell it until I give him the cash. sooo when I check out the bike on Friday I will bring 1500 but I will ask the bike for 1200... is that cool of me? or should I ask him now?

Dont ask anything with out being their (over email or phone), do it in person. And its kind of confusing, did you already say that your going to buy it and pick it up friday or do you just have an apointment to see it friday? If your just going to "check it out" then definatly ask him if he will take it for 12 or so. He might say no and then again he might say yes. Then ask 13 or 14 hundred acording on his response. But if you already agreed to buy it and pick it up friday, thennn.... not to sure. Good luck! :ride:

well... I said that I would pick it up on Friday but he said that since it was all packed up on the inside of the trailer he would let me ride it but see I haven't even seen him kick it over... so I guess its still fine to ask. also are there any things I should look out for.

Let him know in advance....Say your having money problems or something....IE dog got sick I dunno use your imagination....1500 is a good price, but the bike is 12 years old and if you show him 1200 cash he might bite if not say well let me see if I can maybe get 100 more and call him back a little later...when you call back say you cant afford to drop any more than that on a bike....and give him a couple days to break. It seems to me that he has plenty of bikes, and I think you might be able to get a couple hundred knocked off...If you cant negotiate or talk well he will read you and take you for the 1500 haha. If that happens ohh well youll still have a bike.

Yea if thats it....wait until you get a chance to test ride it before you offer the 1200

That thing is super dusty or it looks like.

I dunno 1500 seems like alot for a 12 yr old depreciated bike. Id get at least down to 1200 I am SURE he'd take it. There is no harm in asking you will never see him again more than likely.

its dusty. with black plastics. he said that he changed the oil or something like that every trip

1500 is way to much, i wouldnt buy it for 1000... but thats me.

1500$ is a bit much for a '94. I got a 1995 RMX250 for 800$.

Also, if its your first bike, I'm sure you can get used to it, but its going to be rough. YZ250's are straight out MX bikes. If your riding it in the woods, expect lots of clutching, that is unless you just want to go balls out fast, and hold on for dear life! :ride:

Also, when you get it, make sure to be very aware of the power, and the jetting, and how it feels. 2-strokes require a little more work than most 4-strokes, as they are VERY sensitive to altitude, temperature, and humidity changes. Don't ignore your bike when it starts running differently, or feels weird. Otherwise you end up with the mess I had with my '88 YZ250.

cylinder_damage.sized.jpg

(before anyone asks, that is a steel liner. piston skirt fractured, and a peice of the piston tore out a good chunk of the liner.)

I found my 2-stroke to be really adaptable. I rode it from as high as 10,000 feet down to 5,000 feet and never re-jetted it and it ran the same everywhere. It's a 99' YZ250. And not only that, but the bike had so much low-end I could lug it around tight trails with no problem (Of course, the bike you're looking at might have a pipe setup for top-end). I never fanned the clutch, never had to. It is a GREAT woods bike and a GREAT track bike. My good riding buddy owned and raced a 94' YZ250, he said it was a fantastic motor. Other than personal setup, there wasn't much he disliked about it. Back in those years some people had issues with the forks, but that was nothing a little re-valving couldn't take care of.

On buying the bike- Remember you are in the driver's seat. There are lots of bikes out there. Go look at the bike with no intention other than riding it. Have $1500 cash with you, but only put $1200 in your pocket. I found this line works really well, "The bike is pretty clean and you could probably get $1500 for it, and I don't want to insult you, but would you take $1200?". If he says no, tell him you don't think you can come up with more money and will need to think about it, make sure he has your number and ask him to call you if he sells it to someone else. Wait.... If someone does buy it, it wasn't meant for you. Wait a couple days and if he hasn't called you, call him and (depending on how much you want to spend) tell him you can't come up with any more dough, OR I came up with another $100, would you take $1300? The bike is old, but in decent shape. Here in Colorado $1500 would be a fair price compared to what's currently on the market. Give it a try. Hope you get it, awesome bike to own.

i wouldnt even buy that bike. it looks horrible and beat. if i where you i would look for another yz250