Moving to Pittsburgh need help

I expect to take a job in Penn Hills. I will be traveling to several retail stores in the area but will be based out of Penn Hills. Here are my priorities.

1. I have a 10 year old who will be in the 6th grade. I need the best school I can find as she is a gifted student.

2. I am a single parent so it is important to me to find a nice area with children. Please suggest a good area to live in.

3. Been to Tower City (broke my leg in 3 pieces there) and I love to ride there. Where else can we trail ride out of Pittsburgh or Hare Scramble.

Thanks for the help, Fred

Penn Hills area is ok, Monroeville is near there, lots of apartment reasonable apartments and good area since you won't have to travel through parkway tunnel to go to work. Personally though, I think the weather in this area sucks, I plan on moving to AZ. in 2 years. Get back to me when your ready, I can show you some riding areas, I,ve been trying to get with some riders in this area .

Thanks, I will do a search on monroeville. Do you know anything about the schools? Put me down for ridding. As for Az let me know where you are moving. I lived in Tucson and know Phoenix. I understand about the weather but I can brake out the skis. I loved tearing up blue mountain.

I worked in that area for a good many years. (Pittsburgh and Penn Hills)

The farther you move towards the east or north the better housing and neighborhoods will be. Those areas will also be nearer to riding trails. Anyone would be hard pressed to find trails in Penn Hills.

It'll depend on how far you are willing to drive to work. I don't know much about the schooling, I have no children.

Check out the South Hills. Bethel Park, Peters Township, Upper St. Clar, Mt. Lebo. The school are great, more than enough activities for the kids, everything you want is close, malls, movies, parks, doctors. It's a nice place to live, I grew up in Bethel. Plenty of reasonable housing too.

OK my new found ridding buddies. There is 20 posts on the new PA ridding area and 3 on my post on moving to the area. How about some of you other guys helping a fellow mud hog. I need infor on Pittsburhg and on ridding areas. Thanks, Fred

I went to college in Pittsburgh and can tell you that there are PLENTY of places to ride out there. I know of a few tracks you can ride on in the Robinson township area, out by the Greater Pittsburgh Airport. Most of the people around there just ride out in fields and old industrial sites. Lots of wide open smooth fields with nice hills out there. The population dies off after you get past the airport on interstate 22/30 and its wide open fields where you can ride at will. I have never been questioned for riding on someone elses property.

As for the best schools...................Bether Park, Upper St. Clair, West Mifflin, North Hills and Green Tree are just a few. Pittsburgh is an awesome city to be in. You will like it. Pretty Cheap too

Yep , how far are you willing to drive to work eveyday ? What time do you have to be at work ? All that makes a difference. You could move farther out from Pittsburgh and ride right from your back yard.

Here is a place I just found out about. I have not been there yet and it's too far away to live near but it's some place different to ride.

http://www.mountainridgeatvtrails.com/index.html

If your going to be working in Penn Hills, forget about anything south!!! The commute will kill you. Check out the Murrysville area. The schools are great, and its out of Allegheny county so the property taxes are lower. It's about 20 minutes or so from Penn Hills. Maybe closer depending on which part. Are you looking to buy or rent?

There,s plenty of places to ride around PGH. before you drag your bike 90 miles to Somerset and pay to ride at Mountainridge.

I didn't meen that was the only place around. But I would concider going there just to go someplace different.

Also Allegheny county has 1% higher sales tax then the other counties. Allegheny county is 7% everywere else is 6%

Anyone know of any good trails north west of the city, i live over in ambridge, bottom of beaver county. I just bought a KLX250s looking for some good trails and such, ill have to check out the airport, thats not too far from me. any help would be great.

If you move to the east side of the city...Monroeville/Murrysville area...you're not 90 miles from Mtn. Ridge...more like 60. It's a nice place for both you and your daughter to ride. I'm lucky...its only 20 miles for me, so my son and I both have memberships.