Sign in to follow this  

XR 400 Rebuild 2006

Well I finally finished my 2006 rebuild of my 1998 xr 400. Thought I would share some photos. This is my first attempt at posting I hope it works. Sorry about the size of pictures.

1998 XR400 Before the Tear Down

Rebuild_06_Start.jpg

Rebuild_06_teardown_12.jpg

Back Together with a trial supermoto fender

Rebuild_06_after_1.jpg

Powder Coated

Rebuild_06_powdercoat.jpg

Finished

Rebuild_06_Finished_1.jpg

Rebuild_06_Finished_2.jpg

I had to modify the front fender due to the fact I am running a summers fork brace. I used a 2002 CR250 fender that became pretty flimsy when modified. I came up with this fender brace that works great.

Rebuild_06_Finished_3.jpg

Graphics

Rebuild_06_Finished_6.jpg

Works connection frame gaurds

Rebuild_06_finished_5.jpg

Rebuild_06_finished_4.jpg

One from the back

Rebuild_06_Finished_1.jpg

My little helper

Rebuild_06_finished_9.jpg

Rebuild consisted of replacing all bearings, powder coating the frame, Black Plastics - Polisport rear fender, Acrebis side panels, UFO 2002 CR250 front Fender, Moose Skid plate, Works Connection Frame Gaurds, 45T rear sprocket. Planning on a pumper carb and engine work in the future.

Kevin in the NW

lookin good mate, though that white tank doesnt tickle my fancy.

Did you put a new sprocket on, without a new chain? Cause itll chew your chain up no worries.

Nice. I'm ready to do the same thing. Hope it's not too personal but can i ask how much the project cost?

Na its not to personal however, I will need to sit down and figure it out. I will post it in a day or so. Thanks for looking

Kevin

Nice job. You ever done that before? How did you keep all the nut and bolts organized?

A good way to keep the bolts organized is once you remove the part just thread the bolt back into the hole. That way you know exactly where everything goes.

Looking good, how about the motor ? It looks a bit dirty compared to the rest of the bike :ride::banana:

I have done bearings on the wheels before however this was the first tear down with engine out. I kept all of the nuts and bolts in labeled zip lock baggies.

As far as the engine goes - It was clean when I first got the bike back together. The first ride out (Prior to graphics and frame guards) was in an area Known as Capitol Forest. This riding area is great when conditions are just between wet and dry. To Dry it becomes extremely dusty. Too wet and it is like riding on ICE. The clay up there sticks to everything and it can be very difficult to get off the bike let alone a heat baked engine. I clean the bike after every ride and get the toothbrush out every 3 months or so. I have noted post here with some suggestions on getting it cleaner with less elbow grease but I haven't seemed to find the right combination.

Kevin

Boomman,

This was an exercise I probably shouldn't have done :banana: But I have put some numbers together. The dollar amounts are close - I didn't really keep track as I was working on the project. Tax is not included nor is the cost of odds and ends such as nuts, bolts and o-rings. The Hardware was purchased at a local hardware store to save on cost from dealer.

Powder Coating---------$190.00

Front Wheel Bearings----$19.95

Rear Wheel Bearings-----$19.95

Shock Bearings----------$39.95

Linkage Bearings---------$79.95

Steering Head Bearings---$49.95

Swingarm Bearings-------$69.95

Polisport Fender---------$55.00

Front Fender------------$29.00

Side Panels--------------$55.00

Front Sprocket----------$15.00

Rear Sprocket-----------$32.00

Chain-------------------$98.95

Moose Skid Plate--------$65.00

MSR Hand Gaurds--------$45.00

MSR Deflectors------------$9.95

Grips--------------------$12.00

Works Frame Gaurds-----$51.00

Graphics----------------$29.90

Total Shipping Costs-----$42.90

Total-------------------$1,010.40

Amount of enjoyment Priceless :ride:

Hope that helps with your project

Thanks KBrighamxr400. It does help. I'm rebuilding my top end right now because of a lot of smoke at startup. I've just put new bearings and races in the steering and I figure that I better do the bearings in the supension soon as I'm sure that they've never been serviced.

Once again, thanks for the info.

Nothing like giving some TLC to your fav ride, if I think were my bike takes me it surely deserves it !

Tomr,

Unfortunately, I cannot provide you with any real use full information on the pipe. The super-trap was on the bike when I purchased it and is the only XR4 I have ridden. The power has always been sufficient and as far I know it is a bone stock engine. There is one thing that I can state and that is this pipe is very loud. I do believe that I will change it out when my wish list is smaller and I can justify the $$.

Kevin

I would like to say I have a source for these fenders but I don't. Sometime last year when I was looking someone here had a few for sale. If you haven't already I would suggest posting a thread requesting one. You may get lucky to find someone here with a source. Good luck in your search. If I notice any in my surfing I will post it here.

Kevin

Hey man, nice work. I had to laugh because I am doing the same thing on my 98 xr400. Also am making it a dual sport. Do you think that the frame guards were worth it? I ordered some but I thought they were larger. I just ordered some footpegs from Rocky mtn(tusk $65). When I get it done I will have to detail my work as well. Have fun with it!