Sign in to follow this  

Suzuki Rack vs. Pro Billet Rack - And Questions

Hello again all,

Just curious what everyone thought of these two racks. I bought the Suzuki rack before I saw this Pro Billet rack. I like the Pro Billet, but am wondering if it would be worth it since I already have the Suzuki.

-For those in the know, are the Pro Billets that much better than the Suzuki's?

-Should I sell the Suzuki and buy the Pro Billet, or just install what I have?

-If I install the Suzuki rack now, will that prevent a future install of the Pro Billet?

-Does the Pro Billet install require any drilling of the fender?

As I have stated in my past posts I am no mechanic. I have no mechanic skills at all, so don't laugh too hard at these questions. :ride:

The install instructions for the Suzuki rack says to "drill 2 holes on the rear fender at the position marked on the inside of the fender".

-Does this mean the spots where I need to drill are already marked? I haven't looked yet, but that is how it read to me.

-It says these holes should be drilled 5/8" ~ 11/16", what the hell does this mean? Do I use a 5/8" bit or an 11/16" bit? :banana:

-Finally, the instructions state to tighten the bolts to specific torque settings. Do I really need a torque wrench for this install, or can I just tighten those babies down? Or, is this to help prevent breaking the fender? :busted:

I think this is it for now. Thanks much.

p.s., got the Dunlop 606's installed, hoo-wa what a difference in the dirt. Not too bad on the street either so far.

If your lookin for a big fuggin rack, I bought the one on ebay, and I had to do no mods to make it fit. I love it for hauling around my junk, and it is well made.

Go with the one you bought and see how it goes. :ride:

I don't have any experience with the Suzuki rack, but I have the ProBillet rack on my 650 and I love it. It is an excellent rack and doesn't require any drilling. It comes with two longer bolts to use in place of the ones for the grab handles.

Since I use my DR650 to commute to work, I just bought a Nelson-Rigg Expandable Sport Tail pack that fits perfectly on the rack.

Good luck.

under the fender it is mark it looks like a plus sign + it is molding into the fender you have to look close they are hard to spot. I would suggest using the 11/16 drill the rubber grommets go in the holes the the rack goes through the fender. the 5/8 make these hole real tight.It was hard to get everything line up with the 5/8 holes.

I just put the Suzuki rack on my bike today. I think it will really work out good. Yes the fender is marked with X's. (I found this out after I put the fender back on and marked the bottom with a marking pen.) The rack is plenty sturdy. I was able to carry a case of beer home without the rack but wanted to save my fender from scratches.

So just follow the directions its not hard to do, the wires for the turn signals and break lights have quick disconnects to get them apart easy. When I put the break light wires back together I used a screwdriver to push the quick disconnects together it has a plastic protector around it so it was hard to get it to connect right without the screwdriver. As far as torquing I haven't done it yet but am going to bring my torque wrench home from work and then just double check it to see how close it is. I think if you just snugged them good that would work. To drill the holes I used a 5/8 spade drill bit. It worked good. Just pay attention to how the wires are routed so that you don't get them too close to your exhaust pipe when you put them back on. Its really not that hard just like I said earlier just follow the directions and you shouldn't have any problems. But I think the stock one will work out fine for me and I always have my bag on the back of my bike.

Thanks for the replies all. Can anyone tell me the weight limit of the Billet rack? It doesn't state it on the site. I'm a bit concerned about the 6lb limit on the Suzi rack. I mean at 6lbs, its like what's the point? That will barely carry extra fuel.

05dr650 - what rack are you referring to? You have a link? I did a brief search on ebay and only found a '90 subframe rack. How big is this rack you speak of, and what is the weight limit?

Thanks again all.

I think DR650 was referring to Item number: 4642807210

ebay auction # (current) I bought 1 from this seller(alko9396) and it costed him more to ship it than he charged for shipping. It seems really well made and mounts where the grab handles mount. Keith :ride:

I think DR650 was referring to Item number: 4642807210

ebay auction # (current) I bought 1 from this seller(alko9396) and it costed him more to ship it than he charged for shipping. It seems really well made and mounts where the grab handles mount. Keith :ride:

+1 on this ebay rack. Put one on and dumped it a few days later. No damage to the bike or bending of the rack. A little touch up paint and good as new. Worth every penney.

I have the Pro Billet rack on my wifes DR and would like to trade someone for the Suzuki rack. I just like the looks of the DR rack better. I have drilled holes in the side plates of teh rack to remount the trun signals. PM me if interested...

Ah, thanks DenLee - that's what I wanted to know. No damage eh? Seems like it would get bent up, but I like the space it has for longer trips = bigger bags.

kellog

Kellog,

I was shocked also that it was not bent. I swear by it! Some sanding, black engine paint and you can't tell the difference.

I love my aluminum ProBillet rack ! ! !

:):D:worthy:

Yeah, it's a bit more expensive, but it's more functional, bigger than most, and simply looks awesome! Seriously beautiful CNC fab work folks!

The holes and gridwork give you more options for fastening stuff. the small holes along the edge gave me a place to actually BOLT a decent sized soft lunchbag with ny-lock nuts and stainless bolts.

BE SURE to order the proper rack. There IS a difference between the S and E racks. Assure that it is very clear you're ordering the right one.

My DRZ400S went down 5 times in one day, due to deep sand and wrong tires (non-knobs, 50/50's). Rack held up and still looks like new.

:ride:

I was going to buy a ProMotoBillet rack for my DR650 but instead purchased a Ventura rack kit on ebay for half new price (new-unused) and find it to be a very nice setup. Installed in 20 minutes and it gives many more options then the standard rack. FWIW.....