Old Newbie....New 650L

Howdy Thumpers...

I used to ride when I was a teen...first the YZ80, then a Bultaco 250.

Seized the engine on the Bultaco 20 years ago and haven't ridden since.

I'm looking to get back in the game and am SERIOUSLY considering the 650L...(mainly because I want to commute 15 miles one-way)

I'd like to make the 650L as off-roady as possible.

I know there are quite a few mods to give the L more poop....but I'm not very mechanically inclined...is the "uncorking" something that most couch potatoes can do? Will someone my size (6'2" & butt-naked 260lbs) need to upgrade forks/shocks?

Thanks good bros.

Go with the "R" you'll be glad you did.

And yes the "Average couch potato mechanic" can uncork it search here for "uncorking"

Depending on the type of riding you'll be doing kinda depends on if you'll need to get heavier springs (They come stock with fairly light springs 160lb rider :banana: (which I prefer @ 270 lbs))

Good luck with your endeavors..you're already on the right track : XR! :ride:

Go with the "R" you'll be glad you did.

And yes the "Average couch potato mechanic" can uncork it search here for "uncorking"

Depending on the type of riding you'll be doing kinda depends on if you'll need to get heavier springs (They come stock with fairly light springs 160lb rider :banana: (which I prefer @ 270 lbs))

Good luck with your endeavors..you're already on the right track : XR! :ride:

Well, if you go by his avatar photo, he'll need heavier springs....

Hey Squatpuke, is that your name, or your favorite pasttime? Do you squat to pee too? :busted:???

Get an L. And don't worry about uncorking. Totally unnecessary unless you're planning to race. And who needs to race a 650L!

If you read through the threads, there's a lot of people dissatisfied with the performance after uncorking. A lot don't even notice the difference. Get a titanium silencer and some better tires at the most, and let the bike sit stock. Mine is stock and it still does everything I want it to.

I'm 5'11" 183 lbs.

My "L" has good power and broken in with 800 miles.

It runs good stock , but im looking for a bit more pop

and throttle response.

De-smogging and daves mod is in my near future.

The stock hesitation in the throttle has burned me numerous times trail riding.

:ride:

If you do all the mods, the power difference is H.U.G.E. !!!

unless you have ridden both bikes, you cant understand or appreciate the payoff.

I think an older gent thats not all ripped and studly (like myself) will love the "magic button" and overall usability of an L.

My garage has some pics of taking a stocker and modding it..good luck

Howdy Thumpers...

I used to ride when I was a teen...first the YZ80, then a Bultaco 250.

Seized the engine on the Bultaco 20 years ago and haven't ridden since.

A good factory dual purpose, I mean, dual sport machine is an excellent way to get back into ridin', both dirt & street. I've been ridin' the big bore XL's since '82 & now my '98 XRL since '03. Definitely street friendly with an acceptable level of dirt worthyness in stock form, except for the tires... ?

I'm looking to get back in the game and am SERIOUSLY considering the 650L...(mainly because I want to commute 15 miles one-way)

Can't go wrong with the Big Fat Pig, or BFP. I've ridden mine all over So Cal OHV parks, dual sport rides in Mex & even Pre Ran about 125 miles of the Baja 500, chasing, yes, chasing my racing buddy on his XRR. ?

On the street, no problems. Just wave at the nice officers as you you go by knowing you're not missing a brake light, battery back up, beep beeper, plate light or whatever else is required... :eek:

The BFP can take just aboutwhatever you're willing to ride it on. Just not as fast & with (quite) a bit more physical effort. ?

I'd like to make the 650L as off-roady as possible.

Lots & lots of mods available. The basics include a DOT (or not) knobbies, bash plate, larger tank & better handlebars. :ride: From there you can modify the other plastics, gearing, hand guards, suspension, etc. :busted:

I know there are quite a few mods to give the L more poop....but I'm not very mechanically inclined...is the "uncorking" something that most couch potatoes can do? Will someone my size (6'2" & butt-naked 260lbs) need to upgrade forks/shocks?

Thanks good bros.

The mods are not hard. Just pick up a service manual. If you can follow instructions & can remember what came off first you can probably handle it. I never tore into any of my previous Thumper's carbs, but there's so much info here & on other sites you're pretty much gonna get your questions answered. I had the same reservations & it wasn't really that bad at all. Rejetted 3 times now & the bike is running like a champ. Much better than when I picked it up... ?

Set the sag, add some air to the front forks & adjust the clickers & you'll be good to go. :banana:

I'm now happy with my 2006 XR650L after installing the White Bros E2, Edelbrock carb, smog pump removal and a few other things - it seems like it should have been off of the showroom floor. I'm 6'2" and over 300 lbs.; the stock suspension works pretty good for me but I stick mostly to the road with this bike. The front tends to dive hard when hot-rodding around on the street and heavier springs in the forks would definitely make a difference. I have done some small jumps and light trail riding with no problems but the tires not being knobbies can make this a little more exciting than you want; especially if you get off in the mud. :ride:

Jayzonk - oh pashaw! you can return to stock anytime you would like!. Keep the smog stuff in a box, along with the OEM paper filter, the airbox snorkle (lid) and you jets, needle and pipe. Reverse engineer it and wa-la, it is stock again.

Uncorked - cooler is better on any motor, the increase in power comes form the more complete scavenging of the exhaust through an aftermarket pipe, while on the intake stroke the motor is able to pull in more air via the removed snorkle and improved air filter (uni or K&N your preference) mixed with the proper amount of fuel via the jets and then on the powerstroke (zap goes the plug and BANG better - cooler combusiton. This is how engines are supposed to run. However EPA etc mandates the leanest possible conditions on internal combusiton motors - thus we have what we have - very lean bikes from the factory - all of them not just the XR650L. your car is the same way. They run hot and lean.

Beware that if your running a pipe alone without any change in jetting, you are making it even leaner - with no leftover combustion as it is stock.

Bottom line is you can go back, if you don't like it uncorked well install the junk again and run it stock if that is your thing.

The last thing that is the most ignored after uncorking is gearing. stock is fine for the street and logging roads etc, but for tighter off road riding you need to regear (sprockets) so that you do not remain in 1st all day long in the woods and usually stock 1st is too low and 2nd is too high.

I just built a stock bore 650 L.

10.25:1 piston

Hotcam

Mikuni tm 38 carb with 270 main and 27.5 pilot (needs jetting fix)

Uni filter

Yoshi exhaust

15-48 gearing

Airbox open

Smog gone

Plus alot of other cosmetic stuff.

Over all the bikes handily out performs the same stock 650 L.

It also out performs alot of other bikes at the dirt drags and hill climbs.

The motor has alot more power.

If you are looking for cheap and easy mods a search on this site will flood you with answers on just about any part. Happy trails.

i was giving a 87 xr 600 a month or so ago was trying to make it street legal but instead i bought a 95 xr 650L with electric start last night at 10:30 pm in tustin started it up and got on the 91 first thing i notice was it felt like half the power the 87 has but was faster and smoother it even has a steering dampner which worked well gona go ride it now see what else i notice this is link to the bike i bought paid 2000 dollars

http://www.recycler.com/motorcycles/detail.classified?id=RCY-196-10181796&search_zip=

might put the 87 motor in this bike not sure yet need to ride 95 more but im wondering if motor will bolt right up anyone know

kevin

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I'd say go ahead and uncork / jet it. No reason it should effect the break-in. The sooner you can eliminate the lean cond of the stock set up the better IMO.

Hmmm, just realized the previous post is over a year old...doh!

Edited by cherrymx
add to post

. Will someone my size (6'2" & butt-naked 260lbs) need to upgrade forks/shocks?

Thanks good bros.

Yes, the 1st thing to do to the L is get the suspension set up for your weight and the type of riding you will be doing, this is a much more important mod than getting more power out of the engine. Also, a fork brace on the L makes a huge difference in off road handling.