640 duke II replacement sprocket/chain questions PLEASE HELP!

i need to replace the chain and sprockets on my 2001 640 duke II. first of all, my spare parts manual shows that i have a few chioces of which front sprocket to get. since i want stock gearing, my chioces are "17t engine sprocket" and " 17t engine sprocket damped". what they hell does damped mean? i noticed that my engine sprocket has a rubber piece around the inside of the sprocket, thats the only thing i can assume it may mean. :ride: also: arent all of the mounting patterns the same for most ktm models? i dont want to pay a high price for oem, and it is impossible to find aftermarket stuff for this bike. it appears that the hub diameter and hole patterns are the same on my 250 sx. so could i just look for a 38t ktm rear sprocket?

You figured right the "damped" sprocket has the rubber on it just to reduce noise, I dont think you can even get them like that fron a dealer. You may want to stick with the KTM countershaft sproket though as I have read some aftermarket can cause the countershaft seal to start leaking.

My `04 Duke II runs 17/42 as standard,i say standard for this country,the owners manual with it also states 17/42.

I went down to a 16t gearbox sprocket,this was a genuine KTM part but it came without the rubber piece you speak of.i paid about £8.00 for the sprocket so given the price over here for genuine parts i dont think that was too bad.KTM list a 17t sprocket,part no:58033029017,so you may be able to get it cheaper over there.

have a look at the microfiche;

http://216.165.194.66/elitektm/catalog/selectmanual.cfm?year=2003

:ride:

Andy UK

I believe that the rubber dampers were used by KTM to lessen noise coming off the sproket/chain. Most OEM sprockets you can buy will be exactly the same as the damped version except they will have no rubber on them. No big deal just a little louder. :applause:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the process of changing my rear sprocket on my 01 Duke with low mileage. I got the aluminum one, but apparently there is a steel Stealth sprocket available from KTM.On ADVrider, there is a post on signing in for Duke riders, and one of the respondants posted a picture of it along with the KTM part no. I'll be looking back to get this number, as the Duke apparently gives a short lifespan to the aluminum sprockets. The picture showed a steel rear sprocket with an orange anodized aluminum sprocket carrier. I just wonder if they have it in green.

The stealth sprocket is KTM part no.58410051038/04. :D

thanks. i ended up going with the super heavy, super cheapo jt steel sprocket. i didnt want to put another aluminum one on this bike because i am more concerned about longevity than weight. it is heavy but it looks durable :applause:

I have a nearly new <200 miles, 17t damped type countershaft sprocket for way cheap. Also have stock cans just taking up space. Took them off my 02 Duke for upgrades. Bike is long gone and these need a good home.PM me.