Hop up or not?

I just bought the '02 Dodge Quad Cab 1500. It has the somewhat sleepy 240 horse 4.7 in it.

I put an exhaust and cool air intake on the Expedition I used to have but the exhaust drone drove me nuts after a while.

Is it worth the $750+ for the K&N cool air intake, programmer and a 3" cat back exhaust to increase gas mileage and performance? What will I gain, 10-15 horse?

I just bought the '02 Dodge Quad Cab 1500. It has the somewhat sleepy 240 horse 4.7 in it.

I put an exhaust and cool air intake on the Expedition I used to have but the exhaust drone drove me nuts after a while.

Is it worth the $750+ for the K&N cool air intake, programmer and a 3" cat back exhaust to increase gas mileage and performance? What will I gain, 10-15 horse?

IMHO not worth spending 700 for a very small gain. Deal with 240 hp or trade up to a 5.7.

You can just buy a K&N drop in replacement filter, which will pay for itself very quickly by not having to replace a paper filter a few times a year. Replacement K&N's are usually $40-50. Your power gains won't be quite the same, but you will gain a little, and a little MPG, and not have to replace your stock filter all the time. Tuners are often not worth the dough until you start changing tire sizes and stuff like that. On my S-10, the biggest bang for the buck that I have added was a set of March Performance Pulleys, the Power and Amp set. These pulleys made a bigger differance than my intake and exhaust combined, and the pulleys and new Goodyear Gatorback belt only set me back $90. I would highly recommend that you look into a set of these for your truck. :ride:

That is just going to pull in hot air from directly on top of your motor, if it even fits under a stock hood. Not to mention their description sounds like Cheap Chinese instructions poorly translated. They make no actual claim to power improvement. It may or may not be better than stock with a replacement filter, but i wouldn't waste my money on it.

I guess I have to "hop it up" after all... so to speak.

Coming into town after lunch this afternoon... there was a stick (4by4by about 4 feet) in the left lane on the bridge entering town. The left lane started braking pretty hard. I was in the right lane. I came up on the slowing traffic going 50 or so, and the a gal decided to change lanes instead of braking and slammed into me about putting me into the cement wall. One month or so after I buy it and it gets wrecked... damn!! :ride:

I will say, Geico, the dumb ass ladies' insurance carrier, was great. A 15 minute phone call... he called me back 10 minutes later and said to take it to my shop of choice... it was on their list and they would take care of the repairs. I did forget to ask about a rental car though!