Sign in to follow this  

How to change your counter sprocket ( CS )

No not that SPROCKET !

dieter.jpg

This week there was a thread about a 16 tooth CS.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=375625&parentpage=2

I have one but yet to try it out. I figured I post up a thread on how to change one on the '05 DR 650 SE for anyone to see/search how it's done, (that's the cs in the title).

1ST I called uncle Jesse and ordered one up that I KNOW will fix(he's the man!) then used the motorcycle stander upper thing at pep bozss,hellava lot better than holdin' it up with one hand and a jackin' it up to shove boards under there........

2006_0521_144015AA.jpg

Then loosen up the axle, no need to take it out,slacken up the (non master link) chain all the way by pushin' forward on the tire.....

2006_0521_145253AA.jpg

Loosen (don't need to remove them) the three little bolts that hold the plastic cover on, seen with 2 socket extenders and a finger....

2006_0521_145600AA.jpg

There it is,, Take out the 3 tiny bolts, turn the ring a bit to get it off, and slide the sprocket towards you,, chain and all, 'till it comes off the shaft.Slide the CS out of the chain.

2006_0521_150240AA.jpg

The next picture shows the new,old, retainer ring, rubber quieter down-er ring.

2006_0521_150532AA.jpg

Got got 3 sizes just for tinkering,,, 14-trails,15-stock,16-highways...

2006_0521_150815AA.jpg

This one I had to study on,,, someone correct me if I goofed up,,, but see the FAT part on the new CS? That goes toward the engine. I dry run both ways and the FAT in-ward is less movement.Besides that was the way the stocky was on there......

2006_0521_150859AA.jpg

Almost there! Slip the new CS in the chain and back on the shaft. Put the ring on(with or with out rubber),turn until the bolts line up.

2006_0521_150959AA.jpg

This is one of the most important pictures-THREAD LOCK-

For peace of mind going about 80MPH wondering if them little bolts are still tight. Alittle goes a long way! Hell I even put some on the cover bolts !!!

(Ohh hey nice cap there gear head :busted: )

2006_0521_153203AA.jpg

Now just put the cover back on, tighten chain,crank down axle nut.

When the bike is jacked up the chain will be real slack. I had to let mine out 2 times. 1st after the bike was off the stand,,2nd after the chain and bike warmed up a bit....

Dang what a change from a 14. 5th gear don't feel right until about 55 and the 1st gear wheelies go on forever ! Done just about all the power mods so it is super speeder now,,, I'll change back when ready to go to the MX park again...Took about 30-40 minutes and about 24 ozs of adult refreshments....

Any ??? post 'em here and I'll check back latersssss :ride:

What do you do after the mods ????

RIDE IT :banana:

2006_0521_181422AA.jpg

2006_0521_181852AA.jpg

I clickied on enter before I was done...... :banana:

:busted: High Way mod :smirk:

55MPH is putt-putt-putt....

freeway is purrrrrr at 70-75 MPH

2nd gear is good to 50ish,, least the way I ride !

Not a good mode for,,, say a hare scramble...

But going on a long hull,,,, yep... bound to get better MPG....

Plenty of power with all the power ups done,,, stock maybe a battle to stop the chug-ish-ness..1st is plenty short for fire roads,,,hill climbs,,ehhh :ride:

i have the 16t right now too. I haven't ridden it in over a month since the starter has been down. Can't wait to compare notes! You do nice posts. Some funny as hell! :ride:

Thanks for the great post

I am going to do that this week along with the chain and a new aluminum (stock tooth) rear. I just printed out the manual pages this morning. I thought I had read the new sprockets were held on by a clip?

yeah good post. Im about to do a 14t conversion myself soon, and now I know how to do it - properly, with out guessing.

:ride:

Like double D650 said, Jesse at kientec.com. If there is one around, he will have it or know where to get it. And when you get it, it will fit

I installed mine with the circlip that came with Jesse's 14t cs. No bolts, therefore no locktight needed. Either way is good-nice post. What a difference it makes on tight trails/ hillclimbs!

Thanks for that last post on clips- cleared that up. Now I just need to get the nuts together to break the old chain, sort of a no turning back point b/c I went to a 520 chain, gotta do it though, the old chain is about to roll 15K. Still looks good but measures at the max for length. I have a few big rides coming and I don't want to worry about it

I always had good luck with the RK Roller chain,,,

And you right they don't last forever,, the way I ride 'em !

Get yaa one of proper tools to get 'er done,,, takes about 5 minutes to do..

mp_chain_breaker_tool.jpg

I I recall , according to Jesse, the 14 tooth CS will not fit with the bolts , you have to grind the back of it to allow room for the bolts or something. He uses the circlip, I 'd rather use the bolts (freeway use) . How did you do with the bolts ?

I I recall , according to Jesse, the 14 tooth CS will not fit with the bolts , you have to grind the back of it to allow room for the bolts or something. He uses the circlip, I 'd rather use the bolts (freeway use) . How did you do with the bolts ?

I'm with you there,,,, clips are for Roachs,,,,,,,,

beadedclip.jpg

No grinder man,,, the plastic ring was too big for like 5 miles....

All interchangable,,,,14-15-16......

Don't forget the thread lock !:thumbsup:

The plastic ring was too big for like 5 miles ? What do you mean ? It fell off after that or what ?

To be honest the bolts are doing nothing but holding a piece of metal in the groove.... and that metal is softer than any circlip (just try running a file over each piece). So if side load was an issue (which it is not) the circlip would actually provide greater strength based on the spline contact area. :thumbsup:

I did it today and went with the clip but I don't like the way it moves around , it has les than a 1mm play sideways but you can turn it anyway you want. Aren't those supposed to stay in place tight ? I think that 's how it worked on my previous bikes. I did use specific pliers for install but it wasn't easy, the circlip was not damaged in the process.

If you are worried about the circlip and want to use the stock retainer plate you can get a trimmed plate for a 14 tooth sprocket (part # 10056) from Multisurfacemotorcyclong.com

correct ! I called Kientch, and they also said the FAT part or protrusion goes to the inside, against the motor.:ride:

"This one I had to study on,,, someone correct me if I goofed up,,, but see the FAT part on the new CS? That goes toward the engine. I dry run both ways and the FAT in-ward is less movement.Besides that was the way the stocky was on there......"

2006_0521_150859AA.jpg