Honda diaphram for your ktm!!!

Funny,

I could not get my SXF to run with the honda diaphram. Installed it, started it and it idled great. Touch the throttle and it died. Did this over and over. Replaced with the stock and no problems.

The james dean jet kit no longer ships with the honda diaphram.

What are you running it in and what is it doing for you?

Then your mechanic isn't very good is he. Every body else uses them and loves them. Saves gas.

Dwight

i wouldnt go aruond saying things like that i have spoken to at least three shops in so cal and they dont recomend doing that either but hey maybe you know more than ktm mechanics

• Experts
i wouldnt go aruond saying things like that i have spoken to at least three shops in so cal and they dont recomend doing that either but hey maybe you know more than ktm mechanics

I don't know of anyone who doesn't recommend it. 4 second squirt time is not needed and is wasteful. So, Maybe I do know more than So. Cal KTM Mecanics.

I have been racing KTMs for 4 years now. Go to KTMtalk.com and see what their recommendations are.

Dwight

Gee, a KTM shop mechanic that doesn't reccommend you buy parts elsewhere, what a shock. The 400/450/525 bikes with a stock diaphragm have an accelerator pump duration around 3-5 seconds, for many (most?) applications this is way too long. The Honda diaphragm shortens the duration to around 1 second, which is commonly accepted as a good duration. Is it right for everyone, no, or there wouldn't be a wide variety of diaphragms available. It WILL save gas, and if you tend to whack open the throttle it will give crisper response on most bikes. It ain't rocket science.

I've asked myself (and others) why KTM chooses this duration and the most sensible answer has been that for VERY smooth riders it can be a good choice. Unfortunately I'm not unusually smooth and the switch gave me better mileage and noticeably (but not AMAZINGLY) better response. In my experience Dwight isn't too reckless with his advice.

YMMV

the guys that sold me my ktm are nice knowledgeable guys. They only work and race on KTM's.

but, they only will do things from the hard parts catalog and push oem and ktm stuff.

anything outside of that is considered voodoo mechanics to them.

example I wanted to put in the HT racing torque vane....they said it won't help and should not do it.

they said the OEM needle is fine if your jets are correct. that is obviously wrong. They don't even know about JD jet kits.

I mentioned putting a Honda diaphragm in and they about had a conniption.

consider your source.

all the above things can and do work on KTM's but you will be hard pressed to find a KTM dealer that will support doing that.

I could not get my SXF to run with the honda diaphram. Installed it, started it and it idled great. Touch the throttle and it died. Did this over and over. Replaced with the stock and no problems.

My 450 EXC did that too until I primed the pump.

bruno.

Glad the you have racing riding for for years now really great but i think that riders, or dealers arent always the best people to get advice from on bike set up the last time i checked riders ride and mechanics wrench but hey you are a do it all type of guy and good for you but to say that a mechanic isnt good just because he doesnt agree with you or a thousand other people doesnt mean the he is an idiot i think thr is more than one way to skin a cat

The easy, cheap way is to try it. Spend a few bucks and check it out. I put in the Honda diaphragm and the fuel saving on my bike is better than that of a 400 exc compared to my 06 525.

Bigboot, have a look at ktmtalk and you will find hundreds of ktm'ers that have done this mod that are impressed with the outcome. The best way is just to try it. Enjoy your ride :ride:

I don't know of anyone who doesn't recommend it. 4 second squirt time is not needed and is wasteful. So, Maybe I do know more than So. Cal KTM Mecanics.

I have been racing KTMs for 4 years now. Go to KTMtalk.com and see what their recommendations are.

Dwight

Listen to Vin,

He know's the skinny.

In reality the Honda diaphram in a Keihen part not a Honda part.You just get it from a Honda dealer.

It absolutly does give better throughtle response and practicly eliminates the slight off idle bogg some poeple experience.

I've just done it to both my 06 KTM 4 strokes 1.450xc 1.400exc. I put it in and rode the bike then instaled the JD red needle and this realy smoothed things out especioly on the 400.

Regardless of what some KTM purist mechanic said this diferent "Keihen" acelorator pump diaphram does work in my bikes.

As for the 250sxf I don't have a clue I'll admit I don't know $#!% about that bike.

Being hard headed and not trying somthing just because it comes in a Honda package is just pure ignorance in my book. :ride:

Never tried the Honda diaphram after discovering the bike would not run. I ran the stock for a year with a JD kit and no dead spot.

I still have it and can try it again for kicks. Whats it take about 7 minutes to put it in. Why not.

I will lechs ya no