Sign in to follow this  

DRZ400sm surge

Well.

I disconnected the TPS and rode the bike from home to work (10 miles, mostly freeway)... still hesitates.

With the TPS disconnected it hesitates a little off idle as well.

Any other ideas?

My mod's are pretty common and yet, I get a feeling that the symptoms are a bit unique.

Which of the symptoms seems strange to you Eddie? the fact that it surges mid RPM or the fact that the mixture screw smoothes the idle at the point that it does?

Thanks.

Ralph.

does it surge or hesitate?

your 100% sure you tested clip 3 from the flat end?

Eddie,

Please excuse my English!

I was under the impression that surge and hesitate are the same, appearantly they aren't. :ride:

What I feel is the same feeling you get when the bike runs out of fuel.

Yes, we tried both 3rd and 1st clip in combination with both the 150 and 155mj.

2nd clip with 155mj was the best compromise.

Joe, mine accel was awesome on the second clip, the surging I am speaking of is when you keep throttle steady at 20-30 percent throttle opening. Such as fifth gear crusing...ie. throttle opening steady... but the bike has a hard time keeping rpm steady... it cycles 1-2 hundred RPM up and down...

It however is not "coughing" like its running out of gas. 3rd clip for me was like a switch that turned the surging off. It was too lean on the needle at that throttle opening. If yours feels like its running out of gas, that may be something different. good luck

you need to revisit clip 3.make sure the spacers are correct.thick nylon spacer and thick washer under the clip.

you need to revisit clip 3.make sure the spacers are correct.thick nylon spacer and thick washer under the clip.

I'll do that again and test ride it, probably this weekend.

I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks Eddie and everyone else for your insights.

Ralph.

Hey Eddie.

Like you recommended, I revisited clip 3 and made sure the spacers are in the correct place and order.... Unfortunately, the "out-of-gas" feeling is still there.

Should I give 4th clip a try or is it a waste of time?

I'm not sure about the 4th one...Eddie will have to help there.. but does it sort of feel like its missing or "coughing"? Its hard to explain but when mine runs out of gas it acts sort of violently compared to the surging I was experiencing. On mine running out of gas and the surging I was feeling are too diff things. Do you notice any differance between clip settings, anything at all?

I'm not sure about the 4th one...Eddie will have to help there.. but does it sort of feel like its missing or "coughing"? Its hard to explain but when mine runs out of gas it acts sort of violently compared to the surging I was experiencing. On mine running out of gas and the surging I was feeling are too diff things. Do you notice any differance between clip settings, anything at all?

Solorsix,

I'm sorry for my poor English vocabulary, I'm doing my best to describe the problem.

Missing or "coughing" are both adequate terms to describe the "hesitation" I'm experiencing.

You are correct, it's not as violent as actually running out of gas but it sort of feels like it only to a lesser extent.

When I'm cruising, for example, in 6th gear at around 65mph (14 teeth CS sprocket) and the throttle being at roughly 50%, it doesn't pull steadily.

I can feel it through my body movements that it kinda pulls then starves (for air or gas, I don't know) then pulls again the whole time i'm at that throttle position.

once I pin it or even just accelerate a little it pulls great, much much better than before the mod's. It's just at that specific throttle position and RPM that it feels hesitant.

Hope that makes sense.

The pilot jets I ordered from TT finally arrived so I will be going to my mechanic again on Monday and he'll hopefully sort it out.

I understand that it doesn't seem to be a pilot circuit problem but I just wanted to have all the options available for him when he digs into it again.

Any and all opinions are very very welcome still.

Thanks,

Ralph.

Your English is great man. Well it does sound like a surging issue, I hope you get it fixed, good luck. Burned or someone will chime in i'm sure...I don't have anything else except the basics I could offer. I wish mine had 6 gears, or did you mean 5th.

Your English is great man. Well it does sound like a surging issue, I hope you get it fixed, good luck. Burned or someone will chime in i'm sure...I don't have anything else except the basics I could offer. I wish mine had 6 gears, or did you mean 5th.

Thanks for trying Solorsix.

I appreciate it... and yeah, my bad, I meant 5th gear (too many years on street bikes :applause: )

Try running a #145 main jet and clip position #2, the condition sounds rich and this setting would resolve it if that is the case.

Use the #25 pilot jet and about 2 turns out.

James

Try running a #145 main jet and clip position #2, the condition sounds rich and this setting would resolve it if that is the case.

Use the #25 pilot jet and about 2 turns out.James

hmmm...

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to hear any opinion but I can't seem to find the logic in running the #145mj again.

The bike comes stock with the 145. Now it has the airbox opened-up and a free'er flowing full exhaust system... seems to me that running the 145 would be dangerously lean.

Anyway, I'll be seeing my mechanic tomorrow morning and I hope all will be finally sorted out.

I'll report back what was done and what are the results.

Thanks Eddie, Solorsix and James for your opinions and concern.

Ralph.

i think you have another issue beyond the jetting set up.a install issue or ??????

i run 145 main jets in SM's here at 5500 ft.