Sign in to follow this  

My bike is FINALLY back together!!

Hi all,

Well it took longer than I thought but I finally have my bike back together. I had to take it down to the bare frame to get the kickstand welded back on. About 6 months ago the bike fell over in a rock pile in Death Valley and it bent the hell out of the bracket on the frame and over time it got so weak that it fell off! :ride:

After my buddy welded it up and I cleaned up the frame I decided to change the color from the usual gray to black. I painted the frame, sub-frame, kickstand, shift lever, brake pedal, and right foot peg mount a semi-gloss black and I think it looks pretty good against the red plastics. Check it out at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jeff_in_rc/my_photos in the My Bike album.

While I had it apart I found the steering stem bearings to be shot after only 6 months of being on the bike. The bearings and races were notched and falling apart but still covered with grease. I can tell you this, don’t use All Balls bearing and races, as they are cheap Chinese junk!

I replaced the bearings and races with OEM parts along with all of the swing arm bearings, collars, and seals, as they were toast. I did have a hard time getting the swing arm bolt out but it was not as bad as some on here have stated. I made sure to grease everything very well before putting it back together so when the bolts and collars went in it pushed grease out at the same time.

BTW I also found my air box to be leaking a minute amount of dust on the clean airside of the filter. I took the boot off of the air box and you could see where it was leaking so after cleaning it up I filled the entire mounting area with silicone seal and put it back together.

Now I shouldn’t have any problems with my bike for a long time that I don’t cause myself! It’s time for a ride!!

Bike looks awesome. What paint did you use on the frame? Looks great!!!

I used Rustoleum primer and Rustoleum semi-gloss black, it does look different doesn't it! Thanks for the compliments. :banana:

Now I have to re-set the rear sag and I'll be ready for my first ride! WOO HOO :ride:

WOW! That looks great. How did you get your engine so clean?

WOW! That looks great. How did you get your engine so clean?

SSHHH, it's a secret so don't tell everyone! I use Simple Green, some soft cleaning brushes, soapy water, an old tooth brush and lots of elbow grease. :busted:

I wet the bike down, fill a bucket with soapy water and then spray down the entire bike with Simple Green. Wait 5 minutes and then take the brushes with soapy water to the bike and rinse when done. :banana:

Works great and since I only use a garden hose I don't get water where it don't belong. When I tore it down all of my linkage bearings were in great shape from the last time I greased them with no signs of water getting into anything. :ride:

Thanks guys, now I have to go ride it and get it dirty!!

Black frame looks cool :ride: Thanks for the tip on All Balls.

Thanks, and your welcome for the tip, I am just trying to save the next guy from doing what I did and saving him/her a few bucks in the process. :banana:

The black frame looks GREAT!!!

And I was looking through the pictures on that site, I LOVE the 80's gear, wish I was alive through the HOT pink and NEON green era!! :ride:

You'll have to let us know how that paint on the frame is holding up. I considered painting my frame when it was torn all apart, but wasn't sure how well it would hold. Looks good!

The black frame looks GREAT!!!

And I was looking through the pictures on that site, I LOVE the 80's gear, wish I was alive through the HOT pink and NEON green era!! :ride:

I have had that gear for a LONG time and use it when I ride for 3 days or more. I get a lot of people asking where I got them, hell I don't remember back that far! :busted:

You otta see me in my old orange KTM gear! Now that's funny. :banana:

Nice job,

My kickstand also tore off the frame. Did you HAVE to tear down to do this repair or simply chose to do it to do a clean job(re-paint). I just figured I would take the whole bike and stand to someone with a mig to do the job one day, not take everything apart.

Nice job,

My kickstand also tore off the frame. Did you HAVE to tear down to do this repair or simply chose to do it to do a clean job(re-paint). I just figured I would take the whole bike and stand to someone with a mig to do the job one day, not take everything apart.

The only way to get to the entire back side of the mount is to have the swing-arm out of the way and since I had it that far down anyway I just took the engine out and away I went. It also made it a lot easier for the guy doing the welding not to have to lug the engine around as well. :ride:

I also figured it was time to check the swing-arm bolt anyway and I am glad I did.