why only 4 gears for the rmz, and kxf?

im new to the new generation dirtbikes. havent been riding dirt for about 15 years (been riding and racing road bikes). so when i was on dirtbikes i was used to the 6 speed 2 smokers. im picking up an 04 crf 450 today and im psyched about it, and i know it only has 5 gears. i suppose that is enough given the power of the bike. and ive read that 4 gears are all you really need for motocrossing, but is that the real deal? im sure the power has enough to carry through the tall gears ok, but why wouldnt they go with 5 speeds like honda and yamaha?

It's hard enough for me to keep track of what gear I'm in with 4 speeds. (obsessive compulsive disorder-always counting something). :ride: And I'm only using 2nd and 3rd. I'm glad mine only comes with a 4 speed :banana: 04 & 03 YZ450F's.

KTM since 2000 has had 4 speeds....

4 speeds rocks.

No need to ever shift!

My first is my dad's YZ426's 1st and partial 2nd.

MY 2nd is dad's 2nd and third.

My 3rd is dad's end third and 4th.

My 4th is dad's 5th!

If anyone ever says they need 5 speeds, they're lying. (Except trail bikes)

I had one guy tell me a while ago that he needed 5 speeds since he was 5th pinned hitting a jump.

Nah, I doubt that buddy. You'd be flying 350 feet.

4 speeds is simpler, lighter, and easier to ride....no need to shift!

KTM since 2000 has had 4 speeds....

4 speeds rocks.

No need to ever shift!

My first is my dad's YZ426's 1st and partial 2nd.

MY 2nd is dad's 2nd and third.

My 3rd is dad's end third and 4th.

My 4th is dad's 5th!

If anyone ever says they need 5 speeds, they're lying. (Except trail bikes)

I had one guy tell me a while ago that he needed 5 speeds since he was 5th pinned hitting a jump.

Nah, I doubt that buddy. You'd be flying 350 feet.

4 speeds is simpler, lighter, and easier to ride....no need to shift!

Oh yeah, I forgot about the KaTooM thumpers.

Less gears = less weight

This is exactly it!

For example the YZ450f in '05 had 4 gears, with the steel frame, and it was 220 lbs. Now in '06 the bike is still 220 but with the new aluminum frame they were able to add the 5th gear.

Forget about the weight. What difference does one, two or five pounds make anyway. Most of us carry that around in out belly yet we're talking about saving a pound on an extra gear.

Who uses first, so we're down to three gears. 2nd out of corners, 3rd most of time, 4th if you get lucky.

If you want to go hit Bonneville, go get that extra gear. In fact pick up a sixth.

This is exactly it!

For example the YZ450f in '05 had 4 gears, with the steel frame, and it was 220 lbs. Now in '06 the bike is still 220 but with the new aluminum frame they were able to add the 5th gear.

Sarcasim is still alive :ride:

How about the spread of the usable power between a 4-banger and a 2-stroke? Theres really not much of a comparison between the two ranges. Could you imagine trying to ride a 125 with 4 gears, it would be impossible.

I just bought my 05 RMZ450 and forgot all about it only having 4 gears. On just about any track I'm only in 2nd or 3rd. Even when I rode the CRF I never hit 5th. Personaly I thing 4 gears is all you need.

I use 2nd 3rd and 4th mainly on my rm250. 1st gear is pretty much useless unless you are just doing a slow start heading out to the track from the parking lot. On the starts I use 2nd because it will pretty much backflip if I use 1st gear. I rarely rarely go to 5th because I really don't want to be going that fast on a bike. Remember, this is a 250 and not a 450. I couldn't imagine a 5th gear on one of those animals. If Carmichael and Stewart don't need 5th, then neither does any mortal man!