Trail tech motorcycle computer thumbs up or thumbs down?

I've had one for 5 years. I shattered it after 2 years and emailed the company to see if they had any cases or returned units and they sent me a new unit no charge. Last week I ruined it again in a very wet rain, mud run and I ordered one off Ebay for $29.95. It had a generic bicycle hookup but didn't matter since I already have the sensor.

Overall, I like it mainly because it tracks hours and miles and gives other stuff like average speed, odo, time etc. It's not useful for enduro duty because you can't easily adjust the odo for resets, but for general use it's good. The mount is flimsy though and I fashioned my own.

:ride: or :busted: anyone have this and what do you think of it?

I shattered the stock meter and picked up the trail Tech to replace it. It was cheaper than or the same as replacing the stock meter. I had to make a custom bracket. That's how I got it to mount so I could see it clearly while riding. I like it :banana:

Scotts3.jpg

I just ordered the Trail Tech Lynx with remote for my 250X.

Supposedly the remote enables enduro timekeeping on the Lynx computer. It should work fine for me, since I only have one enduro under my belt & don't understand the whole timekeeper thing anyway. :ride:

I'll report back once it's installed & tested.

Wow that Vapor is cool.

I have the old model on my DRZ and it works great... My cable went bad after a year and I emailed trail tech and hey sent me a new one free no charges at all. Now there is a good company.. I havent had a problem since. I take it off when I wash my bike and in heavy rain when I remember... I am ordering the new one for my wifes 230...

Doesn't Scotts make a billet aluminum mounting case for the Trailtech Endurance? I don't know about their newer models, but I wouldn't spend the money on the Trailtech if you're going to race Enduro. For a regular trip computer to use on trail rides, it's fine, but if you're going to race Enduro then take the money that you would have spent on the Trailtech and use it to pay for part of a real Enduro computer, like the Watchdog or Procomp, etc...

On the other hand, I heard that the new models of Trailtech's include one that some Enduro timekeeping functions. If it does, then make sure that it includes an easy way to load "roll charts" in to it (i.e., speed change info), that it does all of the timekeeping functions that you will need, that the display is big and easy enough to read while racing fast in rough terrain, that it's damn near bulletproof (including the unit's case itself and the internals relative to vibration and water, etc.., the mounting system, and the sensor assembly where it attaches to the wheel and its magnet and wire and all related components) and that it has a remote switch that can be mounted for thumb control of the computer while you're racing to do things like switch display and enter real-time race info like checks and things. Lastly, one neat feature of some Enduro computers is the ability to wireless communicate with other units (of the same model, of course) so that if one of them already has the route information loaded, you can wirelessly (usually IR, although I've heard that some of them are going RF, like maybe Bluetooth or 802.11x) communicate with the loaded unit and transfer the route to yours, which saves you the trouble of entering the date manually. Some event organizers even have the more popular computers available, at the same place that they sell the rollcharts, with the data loaded so that you can get the download from them directly to prevent getting an incorrectly entered route from whoever you happen to find with the same unit as yours.

I will say that the TrailTech products are generally less expensive than the Enduro computers that I know of, so if they do make an Enduro capable product, it might be a decent price difference which could compensate for some lack of functionality, depending on how much you value some of the bells and whistles of the pricier units (i.e., IR data transfer).