Sign in to follow this  

DR Dr radiator lowering kit help question

Last night I install the DR D radiator lowering kit on my 2006 yz250f. The right side radiator is very close to the header. The hose coming off the bottom is also very close. Has anybody used the lowering kit that can tell me if it is okay? It would seem that the heat from the header make the coolant very hot. Any feed back would be nice.

I've done the same thing, installed it and it was very close. Whiped it right back off and chucked it in the bin.

Last night I install the DR D radiator lowering kit on my 2006 yz250f. The right side radiator is very close to the header. The hose coming off the bottom is also very close. Has anybody used the lowering kit that can tell me if it is okay? It would seem that the heat from the header make the coolant very hot. Any feed back would be nice.

The head pipe is very close to the radiator, but as long as it does not touch, don't worry about it. Ive been using the kit for about 2 months now, no problems.

You can also loosen your head pipe at the muffler clamp and at the cylinder head, then tip the head pipe down a bit if needed.

lowering kit or not, its always a good idea to check the radiator hose closest to the headpipe frequently. Recommend replacing once a year because the extreme heat can cause the rubber to dry out and crack.

I did not think of header wrap. After I read the post I went on e-bay a found 1" roll & clamps. Two different auctions but same company. I will try it. I should wrap the exhaust by the carb & shock to keep heat away from them & the air box.

You know it is a dirt bike. So usually when you have a groomed track it takes about 2 laps to coat the header with mud and you have it insulated from the radiator.

Watch the lower hoses to make sure they dont kink.