Why is my DRZ so slow on the top end?

My '06 DRZS has the basic mods: full yosh pipe, burned dyno-jet, air box hole. Top speed before and after the mods was 88MPH without hitting the rev limiter.

I threw on a 41 tooth back sprocket to get the cruisin Revs down. Top speed dropped to about 85MPH. I plan to switch back to the 44, as 41 is to tall.

I did'nt buy it as a speed demon but I expect it should be able to touch the triple digits. A friends DR350 is way faster on the top end.

I've read allot of posts where owners claim that the DRZ top speed was way above what I am getting. What gives? It exellerates decently and runs clean.

It could be your speedo, they are all different from each other. My top speed is around 95, thats not that much different from yours. Take it out on the highway and drive it next to someone in a car and ask them how fast your going. (no, not a stanger either :ride: )

Is it broke in? What tires are you running? Was their a grade? Was it windy? How long did you leave it WFO?

Yes, 1200 mi on it

Factory tires right now.

I have tried WOT runs in different places and different conditions. The most I ever got out of it was 92MPH with favorable conditions.

My speedo is about 9% optomistic compared to my GPS so 85 indicated = 77

Which seems low for a DRZ top end...

Too much weight...

Too much resistance (wind or rolling)...

Too little horsepower for gearing...

Maybe borrow a stock carb and see what it does with that one?

Are you guys not getting a bit wobbly over 75?

Nope... at least not in SM mode. The smaller front fender and the smoother tires make all the difference in the world. That plus loosening your death grip on the handle bars.

I think i got my best top speed with 15/47 gearing or 15/44. I run 14/47 and can hit 87 mph indicated with unbalanced rim locked 606s.

Oh and guys if your front end is shakey try backing out the rebound a couple of clicks at a time to increase the rebound speed. :ride:

I can hit 100mph on mine under good conditions but typically it will run at what your getting. Same mods; my short term goal is to at least have more top speed than my buddy on his KLR (which just rips like 5-10kph faster it seems @100mph)

Now the personal question, how much do you weigh? That could be the difference. But yeah, 92 mph should get you killed pretty effectively, i don't think the death % of hitting something at that speed is much more effective than 8 mph more :ride: