first bike?

ive never ridden dirt bikes before, only atv's. i was wondering if this is a good first bike for me. i dont plan on racing just trail riding friends and maybe the track sometimes them. i am 5'11'' and 170. any help would be great

ive never ridden dirt bikes before, only atv's. i was wondering if this is a good first bike for me. i dont plan on racing just trail riding friends and maybe the track sometimes them. i am 5'11'' and 170. any help would be great

Which bike are you referring to??

Ride on

Brewster

At 5'11 and 170 pounds, your the perfect size for the KLX300. It's a sweet trail bike that will allow you to develop your skills safely. The earlier KLX's had problems with the idler gear which was caused by improper ACR location on the exhaust cam. Do a search on that subject to find out more.

As your skills improve you will want more power. There are some free mods that help. Then there are lots of after market mods, the most effective is a better carb. The suspension is not made for track riding with the big jumps. You'll find that out when you start attempting doubles.

Don't forget to get safety gear. boots, pants, knee pads/braces, body armor, gloves, helmet, goggles. I added my inventory up and it came to just under $1000.

Good luck, this is a great sport with lots of super people participating.

The 300 will be a nice fit for your size/weight. As far as a beginner bike, in stock form it's an extremely forgiving bike. Too much throttle - it stays on the ground. Not enough throttle - it chugs through anyways. As noted in the previous posts it's not a big air bike. My brother and I both have 300's and we pound them through the trails every chance we get and never worry about the bikes making it. We average between 100 and 200 trail miles a week and have yet to be stranded. If you can ride an ATV and a bicycle, you can ride a KLX.