Sign in to follow this  

Back Wheel is loose..... Spokes?

Hello All

I can move the wheel side to side on my 450, when I move it side to side it makes a clunking noise. When I tighten the spokes, the shake goes away, but comes right back after a little bit of riding. I know the spokes need 2.2 lbs of torque, I dont have a torquing spoke wrench, but I have been getting them pretty tight.

Any Advice?

:applause:

After a while torque wrenchs don't work well with spokes since the threads on the spoke in the nipple are frozen or very stiff. Strictly speaking we want a certain amount of pounds-force tension in each spoke, so if each spoke-nipple is randomly stiff, torque wrenches have less value.

At this point tighten by ear.....the "ting" sound made when struck with a wrench. They should all have similar pitch.

I've had some nipple-spoke threads so frozen together I had to put two vise grips on the spoke and crank hard with the spoke wrench on the nipple to loosen it up.

Unfortunately if you you can move your wheel side to side its very likely your hub is trashed and you need a whole new wheel.

FWIW I have to tighten spokes on my OEM 03 CRF450 rear wheel after EVERY ride.

BlackBuzzard

(Im sure this isnt it but) make sure you are pulling the spoke and not pushing .I have seen people turning the nut the wrong way and it will stiffin the spokes for a minute.GL

Thank you for the response.

When your spokes need to be tensioned, does the wheel shake back and forth, if you grab the tire, and shake back and forth......?

I'm trying to determine if it's the hub or not?

THANKS!!!!!!!