Sign in to follow this  

Sanding scratches out of swing-arm

Hi Guys,

I'm in the process of selling my DRZ and would like to pretty it up a little. The bikes in great condition generally but there are a few scratches on the swing arm I'd love to get rid of. I've heard it's possible to sand these out with wet and dry.

Is this true? And if so, what grade paper should I use?

Thanks Guys,

mal

I've never done it, but I do have a heavy background in body work and paint.

It all depends on how deep the scratches are. You may find that what works best is minimizing the scratches instead of trying to completely remove them if they are deep. Try a green scotchbrite pad first, and then metal polish. If that doesn't work, try a red scotchbrite pad, then a green, then the polish.

If you use sandpaper, I wouldn't go any lower than 1000 or 1500 grit. Using finer grit means you have to sand longer, but at least you won't accidentally make it worse by putting heavy sanding scratches in the metal.

sand front to rear on the swingarm to match the factory "graining". if you go up and down it will be more difficult to get the scratches out and will actually highlight them.

The swingarm has an anodized clearcote from the factory...it will be pretty tough to sand without getting aggressive, and if you sand it, the sanded area will show up as different from the rest...it will also tarnish right where yo u sanded... what about a well placed sticker! :applause: Andrew

Great idea to put on a swingarm tapeset.Removing the anodizing will only weaken the metal beneath,accelerating the formation of corrosion.

I'd like to get my swingarm pretty too. But there are some nasty gouges that will not pretty up. I just happen to be waiting on some swingarm graphics from the TT Store. :applause:

The swingarm isn't anodized. Suzuki uses an Aluminum looking paint on the swingarm. If you sand it the real aluminum will start to show and it looks crappy unless you do the whole thing.

I was working on prepping my swingarm for black Anodize (sand and polish) but just gave up and had it powdercoated.

If your really serious about making it look new pop out all the bearings and sand / media blast all the paint off and polish it or brush it before you hard anodize it clear.

Or get some matching aluminum paint and goto town with a light touch here and there.

Thanks for all the replies guys. At this stage stickers appear to be the answer. And as for three stooges, I KNOW it's a dirtbike - it's the weiner potential buyers who complain - god knows what they think you're meant to do with one :applause: I like the 'little old lady' idea though....

mal

The swingarm isn't anodized. Suzuki uses an Aluminum looking paint on the swingarm. If you sand it the real aluminum will start to show and it looks crappy unless you do the whole thing.

I was working on prepping my swingarm for black Anodize (sand and polish) but just gave up and had it powdercoated.

If your really serious about making it look new pop out all the bearings and sand / media blast all the paint off and polish it or brush it before you hard anodize it clear.

Or get some matching aluminum paint and goto town with a light touch here and there.

That's some hard paint then!