Sign in to follow this  

1990 KX250 Project W/ PICTURES

I am having some trouble with my axel adjuster bolts that go into the swingarm both heads snapped off when I tried to lossen them, and then I tried grabbing the bolt with vise grips and it wouldn't turn. Anyone ever have this problem? If so what did you do to fix it? Tap and die?

Thanks

Thats what I thought, Anyone know what a new complete bearing kit costs, and were to get it?

Also what year clutches will work with my bike?

thanks

go to www.denniskirk.com and go to there mmy (make model year) thingy and it has every thing you will need from clutch bearings , top, bottom end plastics

EVERYTHING!

Is there anyway that a newer clutch would work with this bike, if I replaced the whole clutch assembly?

If not anyone know where to get a good deal on a clutch basket for a 1990 kx250? The best deal I have found is a hinson for like $208+ shipping. Let me know.

Thanks

When this happens, use PB Blaster or some other kind of Liquid Wrench with Teflon spray. Spray the bolt and let it sit for a few minutes, then spray again and again letting it sit in between sprays. If possible remove the swingarm to really let it soak in. Once you have soaked the bolt, slowly move the bolt with vise grips back and forth. Be patient and go very slowly, even a 1/16 turn back and forth will work as you continue to spray. This will work every time. :excuseme:

UPDATE!

Its going kind of slow but I have installed new seals and oil in the forks, installed the new bearings, my uncle is drilling and tapping those bolts from the swingarm, and we are also getting the rims re-spoked and a new tube installed in the front tire. So pretty soon we'll only have the engine to worry about :ride:.

PARTS I NEED for 1990 kx250:

-Clutch Basket

-Swingarm bolt

-Upper Tripple Clamp Brake Bracket

-Fork Guards (Newer Style Preffered if they will work)

Let me know if you have these parts or know were to get a good deal.

Thanks

Go to www.lasleeve.com, they have a clutch basket for around 230 bucks including shipping. That Hinson basket doesn't really exist, I called them and they told me that they never even made that part. Newer fork guards will fit, i think i have 2001 model ones on mine. I have a complete 1991 KX 250 that is a parts bike, I might be willing to sell you some parts if you are interested.

UPDATE!

Its going kind of slow but I have installed new seals and oil in the forks,

Hi hondarider95, my front forks are leaking badly on my kx250. To fix this, do you just have to put new seals (2x seals, one each side?)in and fresh oil?

Btw i was told that the clutch disc's need to be about 3mm thick to be usable again.

Look forward to seeing your end result. good luck

I recently purchased an 88 KX 250 and rebuilt it. The swing arm bearing kit and the linkage bearing kit for both will run about $75 and $30 respectively. I puchased them off of e-bay from Littel Racing. Most parts are available through e-Bay. Good luck.

Thats what I thought, Anyone know what a new complete bearing kit costs, and were to get it?

Also what year clutches will work with my bike?

thanks