why, how, where is the power?

What's wrong with the Husqvarnas?

I just posted a question this morning in the Husky forum here, asking if anybody knew where the nearest dealer was to central Maryland.

I would like to see those 450/510 street-legal bikes for myself.

Their specs are great -- lightweight and very powerful too.

Be nice to see the 650 water cooled and a 6th gear. i could live with a few more pounds. Of course wc means more maintenance. So I would settle for another gear. It would be the perfect bike then. It could be geared down a bit in 1st so you could putt around and hit a time warp in 6th. awwwww if only.

I'm picking up a DRZ400S this Saturday, I really didn't buy it to go fast, when I want to do that I hope on the Busa. When I was shopping I didn't care if it was 400 or 650cc just which one I came across first that was good deal.

The guys at the local Suzuki dealerships raced the two bikes both with very capable riders of the same skill level. The 400 was faster to 60mph, and yes it was on pavement.

The guys at the local Suzuki dealerships raced the two bikes both with very capable riders of the same skill level. The 400 was faster to 60mph, and yes it was on pavement.

I don't know WHY it is so hard for people to realize the 400 is just a faster machine. It's about 30 years technologically ahead of the 650. :excuseme:

I don't know WHY it is so hard for people to realize the 400 is just a faster machine. It's about 30 years technologically ahead of the 650. :bonk:

hehe 30 years.... youre funny dude :excuseme:

Very true on the sixth gear...Olddualsporter..no need for it whatsoever. My bike is geared like my lawn tracter and still I don't reach for fifth until 50mph.

And, as far as the liquid cooling rave goes...My bike already is liquid cooled..with OIL. :excuseme: Works like a charm. Also, I can put 4 gallons of gas where it belongs..in a simple, nicely shaped tank sitting cleanly on top of the frame, as opposed to some odd shaped cluster ###k tank wrapped all over the engine.

What is the top speed of a stock 400?

I just checked the microfiche for the 650. It seems as though Suzuki didn't give the 650 any power. :excuseme:

New thumpertalker, but I've had a lot of bikes in the past, many 4-stroke 200cc chinese bikes yeesh. I'm going to be buying a 2000 DRZ400s very soon. I've got an '02 Honda Nighthawk 250 custom chopper right now.

It's not a DRZ! Just kidding!! :ride:

I'd like to see 6th gear & a 450 motor for the DRZ. The weight doesn't bother me too bad, though if it were made lighter I would not complain. I like the 650 also, but the DRZ fits my inseam a little better, plus I got a great deal on mine. I don't think a person could go wrong with either bike, it all boils down to personal preference, really...

The dr 650 has the low end torque but handling it does not. I have both and if you want to know the truth the 650 is better for taking it easy and the 400 is better for taking it hard.

I owned a DRZ400S sold it in favor of a TE510 which I sold it in favor of a DR650.

While the TE510 would walk away from a DR400S and rip your arms out of your sockets. It's road manners were not the greatest. The vibes would put your feet and hands to sleep on a 20 mile back road ride. That and the little voice in the back of your mind telling you it's Italian it could end up costing you big bucks.....

Let's just say the DR650 on the road rides like a Caddy, still has lots of torque and is just plain fun to ride. Plus, it has that made in Japan, air cooled, bullet proof, reliabile peace of mind thing going for it. :banghead:

Let's just say the DR650 on the road rides like a Caddy, still has lots of torque and is just plain fun to ride. Plus, it has that made in Japan, air cooled, bullet proof, reliabile peace of mind thing going for it. :banghead:

i agree with that..... if you dont think about it.... it feels like you are riding that same "honda reliability" type feel.

i have ridden a couple of big bore bikes... high end at that (ktm 640 adv. a 500 atk rotax, and a 605 atk) and the zuk is right with the program. what makes it feel weird and i noticed this the other day is it doesent give you the impression you are goin fast... it gets up to speed pretty damn fast, it just dont feel like it unless you keep your eye on the speedo:ride: :ride:

keeping in mind that this is not meant to be a rocket ship but more of a battle ship tough reliable bike, it has pleanty of performance in it too give any other competetive bike a run for the money.:busted:

My 02 650 is fast enough that my Tuono has been inactive for the last 6 months.

"tuono"??

You should let me babysit your Tuono then. :banghead:

I live closer to the Tuono that needs babysitting, and I will be happy to help babysit.

"tuono"??

Yes, Tuono.

IMG_0246.jpg

I must agree that the dr650 does not run very good. I have a 07 650 and it wouldn't fall out of a tree stock. It ran about like a 400 or smaller. I used to have a IT465 two stroke and that one would smoke the 650 big time.

I had to rejet the carb and put a different muffler on it to get it to run. Now it runs better, not good but better.

I like the 650 to commute, it's fun but still underpowered.

Yes, Tuono.

IMG_0246.jpg

me likey the tuono!!!:busted:

as far as the 400 to 650 comparison....... its almost in comparison between a small block V* vs. a big block V8...... the smaller motor may have some more "snap to it" but the big motor is under stressed and is based more around torque through displacement and stroke. of course...... this is all in how you build a motor but same close concept. :banghead: