Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha YZ250f or Honda CRF250

I highly recomend the 03-05 vintage yamaha's...they are the most bullet proof 250F out there. the 01-02's are good too, but the 03 chassis update is so much more ergonomically superior. I'm not sure if they have all the bugs worked out of the 06.

Honda's definatly have issues...don't buy one.

Honda's definatly have issues...don't buy one.

HAHA, I used to say the same thing.

Are you implying that the CRF doesn't have valve train issues. &%$#@! are you smoking. It is as close to proven fact as it can get that the CRF, KXF and RMZ all have valve reliability issues. I know people who have/had all the fore mentioned bikes, they all had issues.

YZF is most reliable until further notice. I will hand it to the other bikes for handling though... I like the Showa suspension better than the Kayaba.

It depends if you feel lucky. If you feel lucky, buy the Honda.

If you don't have loads of extra cash floating around, like to consistantly ride every week, and don't have a personal mechanic to do your bidding.....I think you know the answer.

To the guy who said that if you maintain the Honda's you won't have problems - that's a load of bs. Take any brand of bike and you'll have guys that maintain and not maintain their bikes. All those things being equal, the Yami's come out so far ahead of the Honda's service wise it's not even a debate. Not close. Not arguable. It just is! Even with knuckleheads flogging their Yamaha's into the ground with little or no maintainence, they have an excellent service record. Can Honda say the same with a straight face? :applause::lol::D:lol::prof::lol::prof::lol::bonk::lol::lol:

Wow, I didnt know I said you WOULD NOT have problems. I believe if you look back at what I said, I think you will see that I said "You will have far less problems then most people".

I am by no means saying Yamahas are bad bikes. They are good bikes, but I am also trying to tell people that Hondas are good bikes too. I am speaking from my own experience and from what I see with many people I know. A real good friend of mine has a 2004 CRF250 that he got when they first came out. Only 2 times has he had valve issues. 2 times in 3 three years, we are B class riders who strictly ride/race MX about 2 times a week. We have 4 other friends who frequently ride/race with us who have Hondas, all 450s from 04-06. Only 1 of them has had issues, but like I was saying, this guy doesnt really take care of his bike like he should. We also have 2 friends that have Yamahas, 1 with an 04 YZ450 and the other with a 05 YZ450. The guy with the 04 has never had a single issue with his valves, but the guy with the 05 has needed to adjust his valves a couple times and then had to get them replaced.

Point is you are not guaranteed you will not have problems with a certain brand, but whichever you choose maintain like you should and you will have FAR LESS problems then most people.

MY BIKES BETTER THAN YOUR BIKE,,la,la la,,,

I ride Yamaha,,nice bike,,my brothers ride Hondas ,,nice bike,,there all good bikes and they all have issues,,,I find it funny that the Honda valve issue is the big thing,,excuse me if i'm wrong but doesnt Yamaha have a valve issue on there 06,,,which i have and am very concerned about. If Yamaha doesnt stand by this I will never buy another,I dont think i would buy a Honda either,

Ok, thanks for the great info. We are most likely selling the 2002 KTM 125 sx. If anybody is selling a Yamaha YZ250F 2001-2003 ish, please let me know. I live in Pittsburgh,PA. I looked in the classifieds and saw one.

MY BIKES BETTER THAN YOUR BIKE,,la,la la,,,

I ride Yamaha,,nice bike,,my brothers ride Hondas ,,nice bike,,there all good bikes and they all have issues,,,I find it funny that the Honda valve issue is the big thing,,excuse me if i'm wrong but doesnt Yamaha have a valve issue on there 06,,,which i have and am very concerned about. If Yamaha doesnt stand by this I will never buy another,I dont think i would buy a Honda either,

they dont have any valve issues with a USA bike. only the euro bikes and the out of USA bikes

they dont have any valve issues with a USA bike. only the euro bikes and the out of USA bikes

06 250F Motor broke today ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page ) check some of these forums,,I believe NY and Ariz,are in the USA,,Hey I hope its not true,,like i said i own one ,,,

I used to be a die hard honda rider untill i was after a 250f (crf /WR) and turned to the yamaha because they are known for their bikes being the most reliable and i didn't wanna have my bike in the shed when i could be riding it. Also the 04 honda was the first year it was out so that aint the best thing to start with. Reguardless of the fact i ride a yamaha i would rather ride a honda if the reliability was the same as the yami but it aint so for this reason i would have to recomend the yami and seing you dont care about the manufacturer then the yamaha would by far be the best bet because it will be easier and cheaper to live with. :applause:

hope this helps

ditto, same exact thing happend to me, then did the same as you. :D

Yes, Yamaha has valve problems in the '06 YZ's. In the US. That's 1 out of 6 years bad for Yamaha. Every year of CRF/X's have had issues with valves. yamaha has apparently traced the problem down to a bad batch of valves and is "apparently" making good with picking up the tab. How has Honda stepped up and remedied their problems? Deaf ears. :applause: These types of problems are very different. The yamaha problem is easily solved by replacing the faulty valves. Many, many, many CRF/X owners have done multiple valve jobs, and the problem still exists.

Now, to maintainence issues posted by SMITH201 - maintain two bikes - one Yamaha and one Honda identically and see which lasts longer. Sure there are guys who maintain excellently and others who don't know what an oil change is, but maintain the two bikes and ride them under the same situations and we'll see which has more longevity. I don't think this is really even a question we need to discuss - do you? The answer is obvious.

I'll buy a Honda after the company steps up to the plate and starts making good on it's products. Either fixing their problems on their dime or making bikes that last before releasing them. That's all for me......rant over. :D

My 2 cents:

Months ago I had "0" bias toward Red or Blue.... I took a long hard look at all 250s from 02-05. I ended up going with a 05 yz250f due information found here and on other sites about the long history of Yamaha's dependability. I also liked knowing that Yamaha has been building the same 250 engine since 01, with minor improvements each year. That to me, means they have a dependable engine design! Even when prior year reviews stated that "Yamaha's suspension was not as good as the Honda's"... they went a step further by changing to a twin-chamber Kayaba fork on the 05s (similar to the Honda's Showa fork). We all know there'll be a few lemons from every manufacture, but I just wanted to minimize my chances of picking one.

If your still not sure about reliability of the 01-05 yz250fs, then check out these independent reviews from MXA and DirtRider. Between these articles, the Thumper FAQ, and the TTstore's great OEM parts prices http://oem.thumpertalk.com/, it was a no brainer for me.

http://www.thumperfaq.com/mxa_4stroke_shootout.htm

http://www.thumperfaq.com/db_4stroke_shootout.htm

http://www.dirtrider.com/tests/motocross/141_0412_2005_yamaha_yz250f/

The 06 valve problems:

Yamaha received a serious black eye due an outside manufacture supplying them with defective valves, but at least for those who purchased from a dealer, it appears they are footing the bill.

Cost of Maintenance:

No matter what you decide... check out the prices on the TTstore... $288 for all 5 yzf OEM valves ($430 or higher elsewhere, even higher at the dealer). I hate waiting for simple parts to arrive that are should be stocked, so I just ordered all frame bearing seals and all fork seals for my 05. Total cost under $85:thumbsup: Dealer price for just the forks oil and dust seals alone was over $44.

jpsYZF

I am fortunate to have a Honda and a Yamaha. My Honda is an 05 250X. and the reliability is the pits. I frequently change the oils, lube the bearings, clean the filters and check the valves on both bikes. I have spent more money in repairs for the 05 Honda in one year than I have spent on my 99 YZ400F since it was purchased new. The 400 still has the original valves in it and have only had to be shimmed once! I couldn't even begin to total up the hours the Yamaha has on it, but the Honda as less than 300 miles and I am currently on its second major melt down. I think the Honda is costing me about 2 dollars a mile, not including gas. When the Honda gets repaired this time I know I won't have to fix it again, because it will be someone elses project....

I am fortunate to have a Honda and a Yamaha. My Honda is an 05 250X. and the reliability is the pits. I frequently change the oils, lube the bearings, clean the filters and check the valves on both bikes. I have spent more money in repairs for the 05 Honda in one year than I have spent on my 99 YZ400F since it was purchased new. The 400 still has the original valves in it and have only had to be shimmed once! I couldn't even begin to total up the hours the Yamaha has on it, but the Honda as less than 300 miles and I am currently on its second major melt down. I think the Honda is costing me about 2 dollars a mile, not including gas. When the Honda gets repaired this time I know I won't have to fix it again, because it will be someone elses project....

Ouch! Your story sounds very familiar, sorry to hear that.

In my little group of riding buddies, we have had at least 3 CRF250s have had their valve train redone (that I know of) and 1 CRF450 have had its valve train redone too. Honda's valve train = :applause: and to think I almost bought one just to try another brand... :D

Yamaha Yamaha Yamaha Yamaha Yamaha Yamaha Yamaha Yamaha Yamaha Yamaha belive me u wont regret it!!!!!

I was a Yamaha man all my life......great bikes..I never had one fail....ever. I am on my first Honda and could not be happier. I have siezed the piston once due to an overly lean condition..........my fault. It was due for a piston anyhow. The valves on these machines are pretty damn cheap. I have reserved myself to spending the other $90 for intakes and new springs and just replacing them with each topend replacement yearly. Not a big deal...

These bikes are simple to work on......Some of you guys would of never made it through the 70's with the amount of work those bikes demanded. I will never bash another brand....it only serves to insult those who love and own those bikes. I love my CRF.....it evokes an emotion that my previous Yamahas did'nt....I think that is why Honda owners are willing to spend a little more....wrench a little more....and love their bikes a little more. :applause:

Derik

YAMAHA DOES NOT HAVE A VALVE ISSUE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Man people get your facts right......they just had a bad batch of valves in the begging of 2006 the YZ250F modal they have fixed the problem.

We ended up with a 2002 yz250F!!! I had a 2000 Yamaha YZ125 that gave me zero problems. Gotta stick with blue!!Of course our 2002 KTM 125 SX is available. Email me for details.