Sign in to follow this  

Yamaha YZ250f or Honda CRF250

Hello,

My son currently has an 02 KTM 125sx. We were out looking at a 2004 Honda crf250 and a Yamaha YZf250. I ride a DRZ400s. My concern is the valve issue that tends to be haunting the Honda's. I was questioning if anyone knew of any problems with the Yamaha? Both dealers are asking 3400.00 for each respective bike. Of course we would need to part with the KTM. We just had the KTM rebuilt, completely. Any suggestions?

I used to be a die hard honda rider untill i was after a 250f (crf /WR) and turned to the yamaha because they are known for their bikes being the most reliable and i didn't wanna have my bike in the shed when i could be riding it. Also the 04 honda was the first year it was out so that aint the best thing to start with. Reguardless of the fact i ride a yamaha i would rather ride a honda if the reliability was the same as the yami but it aint so for this reason i would have to recomend the yami and seing you dont care about the manufacturer then the yamaha would by far be the best bet because it will be easier and cheaper to live with. :applause:

hope this helps

Go for the yami, they are bullet proof. I have an '02 (for sale), that has around 100 hours on it and has never failed me. I check the valves every15 hours and they have not budged....flawless. Buy a yami that has been taken care of, and it will take care of you in return. :applause:

Try to sell the pumpkin on your own. A dealer is not going to be able to sell a 2-smoker very easy and probably doesn't want it. You should be able to get a decent idea of what they go for on fleabay. Good luck

Are you trying to ride or learn how to be a mechanic. The Yamaha will give you the ride time....if you wanna replace valves get a Honda

According to all of your responses, Yamaha is the way! I just sold my 2000 YZ125, never had a prob with it. I was leaning to Yamaha as well.

Yammis suck too....... mine had valve problems 3 times in 1-1/2 years. Cost as much for the repairs as for the bike new. I basically gave it away after the 3rd failure. When a valve breaks it destroys the entire top end including the cylinder, the connecting rod, and the cam chain drive gear which is integrated onto the crank (need new crankshaft).

I have to call into question the competence of the people you selected to do your repair work. Don't let them work on your Husky. Your experience does not match up with mine or anyone else I know.

i being a yami ridier will recommend the yami just for the reliability...now hondas are suppose to handle better but what good is that when its at the shop more than your getting to ride it...id say if you got money to burn then get the honda , if not then yami is the way to go esp since its about 90% rider with bikes this close in performance... also is your son used to the ktm suspension? i know those of us brought up on the link suspension prefer it over the ktm's BUT he may prefer to the feel of the ktms if thats what he grew up on? have him ride a yami and see if he like the way they ride vs the ktm... i know its a mental thing but sometimes that can make a difference...you can probably get a ktm for aournd the same coin...

I have to call into question the competence of the people you selected to do your repair work. Don't let them work on your Husky. Your experience does not match up with mine or anyone else I know.

Whatever Dude! I've done all my own repairs for 35 years. How and the hell can you judge my competance or experience based on a POS bike I got, maybe it was a lemon but I know for a fact that I'm not the only one to have major problems with that model.

Bite me!

I have ridden both the crf250 and the yzf250. Both were 05's. All I can say is the honda turned like a dream, (compared to the yzf) but the yzf seemed like it had a better motor. It seemed to pull harder. I ended up chosing the yzf because of valve issues with the honda. The only time my yamaha is ever apart is when I need to grease the bearings or I want to tweak things for better performance/handling. Sorry for the little ramble, but If i had to chose again I would definitely still get the Yamaha.

Whatever Dude! I've done all my own repairs for 35 years. How and the hell can you judge my competance or experience based on a POS bike I got, maybe it was a lemon but I know for a fact that I'm not the only one to have major problems with that model.

Bite me!

oh its on :applause:

I just went through this same question. Although I was considering the Kawi. I'm not brand loyal so I just wanted the best bang for the buck and when the dust settled the dependability of the Yamaha won out. The kawi wins the tests but as with the Honda is known for valve train issues. At our level (anyone but the top 20 in the world) the rider will make the difference of whether you win or not. So you might as well ride more often with less trouble and buy the Yamaha. IMHO :applause:

Bill

I echo most of the advice above, but would add that I don't think that your dealer is giving you a very good deal. If he wants 3400 and your KTM for an 04 YZF, that seems kind of unfair, unless the KTM is just completely beat. Try selling the KTM on your own, and see what the dealer wants for the YZF by itself. If he wants more than about $4K, then look elsewhere.

Well, I have had a 02 YZ250F and a 05 YZ250F and also never had any problems with them as far as valves. Good/reliable bikes, but the handled like a tank compared to most other brands. I also didnt like the fact that Yamaha used alot of screws instad of bolts, never understood that logic. 5 months ago I purchased a 06 CRF450, and like my past 2 Yammys, have never had any valve issues. I believe that if you stay on top of your frequent oil changes and make sure you always have a clean air filter then you will have alot less isssues with your bike not matter what brand. You do those two things religously and try not to hit your rev limiter, then you will have far less problems then most people.

i would be interested to see what you would hear if you posted this on the Honda page,,,,,,ya think if i posted this ??? over there anyone would recommend a Yamaha ,,,,come on !! :applause:

I am not recommending a Yamaha. Its not a bad bike, I liked my Yamahas and won some races on them, but in my opinion I just think the Honda is better all around. Its just funny to hear people complain about valve issues all the time. Its the rider and how he maintains his bike that determines the longevity of their bike. If you ride the piss out of your bike all the time, dont change your oil regularly, dont keep you air filter clean, or all of the above, then you are gonna have constant issues. I see it all the time from the people I know who are very adamant about maintaining their bikes properly and the issues other guys I know are having that dont take care of them like they supposed to.