Sign in to follow this  

unseal the battery to restore it

Actually I just bought a new Yuasa YT7B-BS from OEM thumpertalk.

Great deal,.. only paid $66 for it.

Anyway, it came with the top open and you have to fill it manually with the supplied electrolyte pack. Basically that oblong cap that says "do not open" is the peice you have to try and pry open. Give it a shot. If you do a search on Battery on this forum someone goes through the process on how much distilled water to use.

Good luck,

Dave

No. I have not tried to unseal a sealed AGM battery. Sealed batteries are not intended to have the seal strip reomved. Different brands have different types of seal caps or strips and they fit very tight. You will probably distroy the seal strip in the process. Let us know if you figure it out and if there is any point to it.

I was able to carefully pry that strip off but it still never took a charge after adding distilled water in 3 ml increments. A sharp knife and a thin flat blade screwdriver is what it takes, and I didn't destroy it but to no avail.

I think you need to replace with acid?? Anyone?? :applause:

No, you don't top up with acid. Use distilled water, unless somehow you spill out the original acid. Acid is only used when battery is first put into service.

when a battery is filled, all the acid is in there... when they dry out the water is what "boils off" and needs to be replaced.

Actually I just bought a new Yuasa YT7B-BS from OEM thumpertalk.

Great deal,.. only paid $66 for it.

Anyway, it came with the top open and you have to fill it manually with the supplied electrolyte pack. Basically that oblong cap that says "do not open" is the peice you have to try and pry open. Give it a shot. If you do a search on Battery on this forum someone goes through the process on how much distilled water to use.

Good luck,

Dave

how did you get it for only $66

I have a friend who is an an Interstate Batteries distributor. I just bought one for my Vulcan for $50. Find a distributor they will give you deals, sometimes they also have 'blems' that only have cosmetic damage, no damage to the battery itself just the casing or stickers.

I think you need to replace with acid?? Anyone?? :applause:

Gentleman, I have restored my own battery and a riding buddies so here goes. Gently pry off the sealing strip of caps with a small screwdriver, if you are careful you should be able to do it with no damage to the caps. Add small amounts of distilled water to each cell, 3-5ml, NOT acid. Then try to recharge, no more than 16v and 125 degrees F battery temperature. This battery is a glass mat battery and adding small amounts of water is just re moistening the glass mat inside, your not filling it with water. Mine is still working after almost a year, still have a new battery on the bench :D:prof: vanram.