HOW DO I TELL A 02 MODEL FROM AN 01 MODEL

You can visually tell them apart based on the decals on the side number plates. The 2001 had a "DRZ400" decal the side number plates, the 2002 does not - it has a "400" decal on the sides of the rear fender. Also, the headlights look different.

As far as mechanical differences, I'm not positive for the 400E (I have the 400S). I think the 2002 got a different rear shock, and I also think the radiator changed a bit.

i have an '02 E model, it has a high speed and a low speed compression adjustment for the rear shock. ive been told that '02 is the first year for this but i dont know for sure cause ive never really looked close at an '01.

the nitrogen cannister has a blue nut on it that clicks 3 or 4 turns and there is a slotted screw in the center of the nut that clicks closer to 20 turns. the older model should only have the slotted screw.

hope this helps

jason

2002 wider footpegs

different radiators 2001 has the rubber y shaped hose 2002 has just hoses from each individual outlet & r/h hose has a woven black sleeve on it from the rad to pump

2001 grey cases 2002 silvery (i think from memory)

different decals on tank

headlight on 2002 different, has a twin filament halogen bulb in it and the surround is shaped better

those are the most obvious i suppose if someone has dressed up a 2001 to look like 2002 i would look at the rad hoses first as that is an easy one to check and an expensive one to try to get around