Sign in to follow this  

Can't break loose clutch hub nut, Any ideas?

I'm replacing on my 1995 KX 80 the clutch plates with racing plates. I got to the hub nut and no matter what I do I can't get the nut to break loose. any tricks or ideas on how to break it loose?

other than that put some liquid wrench on it and let it soak awhile. if it has had loctite put on it you can usually heat it and get that to break loose. just remember slow steady pressure if you go trying to jerk it you will either mess up the nut or your hand. impact wrench by far the way to go

they arent that expensive at sears and you will have one the next time you need it.

i'd let u borrow mine if i could come stay at your place and ski. just kidding thats a long drive. here to help.

I asked the same question and no one helped ...i have a non working clutch kx80 and i am putting in new plates,fiber plates and springs.was stuck at the same bolt.

after trying for a few days i had my brother in law hold a screw driver in the teeth ,locked the front again a wall and then stepped on the rear to keep it from moving.

then put some muscle and it moved :applause:

I asked the same question and no one helped ...i have a non working clutch kx80 and i am putting in new plates,fiber plates and springs.was stuck at the same bolt.

after trying for a few days i had my brother in law hold a screw driver in the teeth ,locked the front again a wall and then stepped on the rear to keep it from moving.

then put some muscle and it moved :applause:

Which is the quickest way to break off a tab off the clutch basket or the spring bosses. Save about three of the old clutch plates (the steel ones) and weld them together and weld on a handle. If you dont a welder you can buy the clutch holding tool from the dealer. An impact wrench is usually the simplest. You dont need to remove the clutch baskets to change the clutch pack, just remove the pressure plate. I highly recomend buying an impact wrench for this sort of job.

if you dont have an impact wrench or cant get one you can put a wrench on the stator side rest it against the foot peg so it wont spin and you can get more leverage.

even more leverage get a piece of pipe and extend the handle of the socket wrench

or like suggested get the proper stator holding tool