Hit by car

I was hit by a car on my DRZ today @ 4:30 pm, I was just going to the hardware store for a couple of things for the house. 1/2 mile from my house in a country area a person turned left directly infront of my bike no signal no warning. She swept the front tire out and I went over the car. I feel very lucky that I can tell this story. The bike is a total, I would guess, the frame is gone, case is broken, wheels bent bars gone, but I am ok, bruises and stiches are the sum, and calling my wife from the aid car. Please be thankful for what you have, you never know what may happen. Ride safe

Dave :applause:

I can relate - I've been to the hospital after being hit on my DRZ. I survived it (thank you morphine!) and the bike survived it (with a bunch of work). The driver was talking on her cell phone when she hit me ... man I hate those things.

I'm so glad to hear you're ok, it could have been a lot worse. Aloha.

Scott

I'm riding safe too lately, trying to eliminate such possibility. Bikes are fun toys but if you're not careful they can cause injuries. Even if you are careful shit happens...

Glad you're ok,man.. :applause:

You'll get a new bike.. any insurance?

Glad you're ok. :applause:

Cars turning left in front of us is the largest threat we street riders face. Unfortunately, there's little time to react. I make it a habit to flash between hi/lo beam several times in such situations to be as visable as possible and wear a blue/black/white (high contrast) riding jacket. I may look like an idiot doing all that, but maybe someday it'll make the difference. The DRZ has a very visable high beam during the daytime. That's a good thing.

Speed kills. It reduces your reaction time and, because we're smaller than the cars drivers are programmed to look for, drivers are tricked into thinking they have more distance even if they see you. Excessive speed makes their misjudgement more critical to us.

I didn't say any of that to suggest you did anything wrong. I'm hoping it may help someone else prevent a similar senario though.

"Cars turning left in front of us is the largest threat we street riders face. Unfortunately, there's little time to react. I make it a habit to flash between hi/lo beam several times in such situations "

first of all, glad you are ok!

regarding the above quote, i completely agree. drivers not seeing motorcylists and moving into the bikes path is the most common cause of bike accidents.

regarding flashing the headlights hi/low, i've always wondered if that may give some drivers the wrong signal. i.e. telling them its ok to go!

i thought about a headlight modulator, but for now i give my handlebars a little self-induced headshake when approaching an intersection with a left turning car in front. :applause:

I know it makes sense to make yourself more visable, the sad thing is there is more to it than that. I used to drive for a volunteer ambulance corp. and people sometimes wouldn't see me :applause: , bright yellow truck, flashing lights, sirens etc.

People just don't pay attention.....

Ron W.

Glad to hear you are okay. A car turning left in front of a motorcyclist is one of the greatest dangers on the road. :D I installed a headlight modulator on my DRZ to make me more visible. Sometimes I notice people staring at me. I even have the occasional driver at a red light roll down their window and tell me my light is flashing. It is easy to install and actually makes your headlight a bit brighter. You can read about it here; http://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/headlight-modulator/dual-modulator.htm

Ride safe! :applause:

Glad to read that you are Ok.

Had a few incidents with cars turning left or pulling out before, not much fun.

I had one elderly guy pull out in front of me, no warning, i went over his roof and landed in front of his car.

Then he almost ran over me as he was still rolling and looking back to see what the bang was :applause:

That was some years ago, i drive like a lot more defensively now but its still a jungle out there.

Read my sig :D