Breaking open the RHS crankcase cover

Caution: may contain stupid question.

While out riding yesterday my kick start made an "unusual" noise and stopped returning to it's normal position. I can still lift it up and then crank the engine over but the kick lever stays down (it no longer returns to the higher position)

I figure this is the spring in behind the crankcase so I've removed the brake lever, oil lines, clutch cable and the crankcase bolts but the sodding thing won't budge. :applause:

I've tried tapping the cover with small ball hammer :D but I've had no luck so far. Has anyone got any clever tricks to assist in this process or should I just persist and be patient?

Thanks for your time,

Paul.

Double check to make sure all bolts are removed and if it is stuck then firmly tap it all they way around with a soft mallet or a peice of wood. Usually when something like that is cast they cast separation holds where the peice sides don't perfectly align. Try tapping on these spots.

Thanks Redrider, I'll continue tap dancing round the case. :applause:

Also, I'd like to know if I should expect any oil to come out once I crack the crankcase? I've drained the oil as per procedure. Should I keep the drip tray handy?

Thanks everyone for your input. I got the case off and sure enough, the return spring has snapped off the shaft end.

I've already got an order in with Honda for a new spring and gasket. (should be delivered to the house today)

I'll get everything put back together tonight - just in time for another ride this weekend!!! :applause: