yz 80 vs. yz 85

i just found a 2002 yz 80 for sale. i told my friend about it because he has a pw 80 and hes looking for a bigger bike. when i told him it was a 80 he said he doesn't want it because its no better than his pw 80. he said he wants a 85. my opinion is that there is no difference between a yz 80 and a yz 85 because Ive ridden both. can someone please explain that a yz 80 it tons better than a pw 80, and give your opinion about the difference between power on a yz 80 and a yz 85. he dosent seem to believe me. thanks!!!

• Haha 1

your friend is retarded... the only way for hard headed people like him is.. take him and let him ride the yz80 around the block and then ask him if there is a difference.

oh yea.. funny story. my friend has an xr100 that i dont ride with much, but his little bro has a pw80.. we raced down his drive way i was on my (yz85).. and i stayed in first gear as he was in 3rd. and easely pulled away.. shows how much of a difference there is. i sold my 85 a while ago to get my 125.

WOW is your friend a total idiot? does he know that an 80/85 is 1000 times bigger than a pw80??? and does he know that it is a billion times faster???

hes about 5' two. he wants a 250 but hes outta his mind. i told him he cant fit on a bike like that but he dosent listen. i cant imagine any one going from a pw80 to a 250. he redes my xr 100 around so he should be able to fit on a yz 80 and be able to do the clutch.

hes about 5' two. he wants a 250 but hes outta his mind. i told him he cant fit on a bike like that but he dosent listen. i cant imagine any one going from a pw80 to a 250. he redes my xr 100 around so he should be able to fit on a yz 80 and be able to do the clutch.

does your friend have a death wish?

:applause:

"YZ" is a true Motocross bike, unlike the "PW" is leaned towards newbies, and first timers just wanting to learn how to ride, and trail riding. The Yz80/85 will be much more faster and much more complicated than his PW80. There will be much more stuff to learn with a Motocross bike, it's not like you can just jump on and ride, then not worry too much about maintance, like the PW.

As for the 250, who in there right mind will jump from a mini-bike to a real full size 250cc motocross bike?

heyy watch it there...im 5'3 and i can ride my dads yz 250...lol...tell ur friend to start off small man..if he goes from that 80 to a 250 hell for sure be hurt man..no doubt...

I have had both dirtbikes, YZ 80 and PW 80. My opinion is that the yz 80 is not only faster, has better suspension, and better looks but also sits a solid foot above the PW seat height and is a 5-speed tranny. compared to the PW only having 3-speed and being automatic.

It is kind of funny that they are both 80cc and both 2 strokes and yet so dramatically different in power. The PW 80 is probably about 5 hp and the YZ80 I'm sure is at least 20.

It would be really funny to see a video of your friend trying them back to back ;-)

It is kind of funny that they are both 80cc and both 2 strokes and yet so dramatically different in power. The PW 80 is probably about 5 hp and the YZ80 I'm sure is at least 20.

It would be really funny to see a video of your friend trying them back to back ;-)

The PW comes stock with a 6.5:1 compression ratio, and someone like him probably wouldn't maintain a bike, so who knows how much compression it has? 50psi?

You knwo whats funny abotu a yz 80 and a yz 85? The cc difference is really one cc. The 80's actually displaced 82 cc's. The 85's are really 83cc.

SO, yes. Your friend is right. He'll notice a huge difference with that extra 1cc. LOL I have no idea why they actually started calling the 80's 85's. One company did it, and the others followed. Originally, the 80's were 79'cc bikes and they had iron cylinders that allowed for oversize pistons to be used if a cylinder became damaged.

Obviously, the serious racers went with the largest piston as soon as they could. If I remember right, the 4th over piston on a old yz 80 made it a 83cc bike. When they started using the plated cylinders, the companies just used the 82 cc pistons from the factory. Then someone went to 83'ccs and the 85 class was born...

pw 80 has no power ban..... he will flip the yz as soon as he gets on it good, &&& hes going to die on 250 for sure...

7 hours ago, Joe Addison said:

I’ve just bought a 2002 yz 80 and heard it’s a very rare bike is this true 

the 2002 is a YZ85, and pre-2002 are all YZ80's (so 2001 and under)

7 hours ago, Joe Addison said:

I’ve just bought a 2002 yz 80 and heard it’s a very rare bike is this true 

28 minutes ago, Gooney said:

the 2002 is a YZ85, and pre-2002 are all YZ80's (so 2001 and under)

Goony is right, if it is a 2002 YZ80, then it really is rare... 

:smirk:

• Haha 1