Sign in to follow this  

Real-world piston life expectancy?

i have an 05 X which i bought used so dont know much about its previous life i have no running issues or noises etc but ive noticed it uses oil is it time to take a look?? if i replace piston and rings do i need oversize and honing or do i buy standard and just replace old for new?

The OE Honda cylinder flange is very thin and does not allow overbores in it's

OE form. Maybe a light deglaze if any and a new piston & ring kit should take care of your oil consumption woes.

Ed

100+ hrs on the stock piston. No problems so far. The bike runs better now than it did off the showroom floor! I don't ride near as hard as others though.

I've had mine over 2 years it's an 04 not sure of the hours or miles I'm sure it's significant with no problems except fork seals love my X and would never cheat on her :applause: .

my oldest son has an 05 x. the valves lasted about 40 hr. did a complete valve job ( 2 NEW INTAKE VALVES and grind the seats). that lasted only 12 hr's. now it has an 06 r head with all new parts and a new piston and rings. it runs a lot better with the r head but we'll see how long it lasts.

just bought his younger brother an 06 wr250. i hope it lasts longer than the x.

me? i ride an 04 KTM EXC450. best bike i have ever owned. if KTM would have made a comparable 250 (wide ratio gears, lights , E button etc.) i'd have bought two of them instead.

not to bash red or blue but all the reliability issues i've had wit the x has left a sour taste in my mouth. we will see how the yammie holds up

thread ressurrection! (see, i DID do my homework!)

regarding piston life - i just bought a used 05 X and even when i inspected the bike during the purchase i pointed out to the guy that it sounded like the piston was loud (slap). he said it was normal (go figure).

so, i'm getting ready to yank the head to install new SS intake valves and wondering if while i'm at it, might as well pop in a new piston and rings.

i mean, IS the clacking piston normal? it's definitely audible. no oil burning, and seems to have reasonable power. just worried about a cracked skirt if i wait too long.

and should i go with a JE 13.5:1? Will the stock starter handle it ok?

13.5:1 is a good upgrade...I would look into the 08 R piston as well since it is cheaper. If you got the top off might as well throw in the piston as it is not much extra work.

is it unreasonable to wait until it burns oil to replace it?

I heard that the pistons explode in 2t's if you go too long...

regarding piston life - i just bought a used 05 X and even when i inspected the bike during the purchase i pointed out to the guy that it sounded like the piston was loud (slap). he said it was normal (go figure).

so, i'm getting ready to yank the head to install new SS intake valves and wondering if while i'm at it, might as well pop in a new piston and rings.

i mean, IS the clacking piston normal? it's definitely audible. no oil burning, and seems to have reasonable power. just worried about a cracked skirt if i wait too long.

these are pretty noisy motors, i think i would wait until your have oil use/compression problems before you replace the piston. Thats just MHO

Ask anyone with a late model chevy V8 how noisey slipper style pistons can be, even new. Yet those motors seem to be going strong at 200k miles. I'll do my X piston when I need valves, 118hrs and still haven't needed a shim.

120 hours on my 250X everything from cruising the trails, a little bit of track, and beating the snot out of it on the trails. She has been burning a little bit of oil since day 1 but I just stay on top of it. She is getting a new piston and rings this winter when I can't ride.

I just didn't feel it was necessary to to the piston and everything mid season. I could not go without my bike for that long.

She still runs strong and starts first kick EVERY TIME.

Ask anyone with a late model chevy V8 how noisey slipper style pistons can be, even new. Yet those motors seem to be going strong at 200k miles. I'll do my X piston when I need valves, 118hrs and still haven't needed a shim.

You'll really see how noisy it is when it has enough wear to rock in the bore and turn sideways.

You'll really see how noisy it is when it has enough wear to rock in the bore and turn sideways.

seriously? WOW

I replace my piston once year...hasn't failed me yet.

There is a loud clacking sound that is caused by the carb slide (at idle).You can pull the air filter and push something against the slide and it will stop. That way you can see if the noise is coming from the motor.

Either you are doing something wrong or you have bad luck. I have over 1500 miles of desert and mountain riding and over 100 hours of run time without a hickup. no blow by, no oil use, no power loss. I am meticulous about the maintenance, but not even the valves have gone out of tolerance. Could just be the 06's aren't having the problems, but this bike is strong and reliable.

fluke for sure

I have 30 hours and 450 miles on my bike all while bouncing it off the rev limiter!

Plus my bike is heavily modded and it sees equal time on the track and trails.

I am in no way nice to my bike. I beat the crap out of this bike on a regular basis. I am meticulous about maintaining it though.

the valves haven't budged and the oil is always clean.

love my 06!

My 250x is an 06. I run 89 because that is all that is available in non-ethanol. My altitude is about 1000'. Sometimes I ride easy with the kids, sometimes I put on 100 miles of hard, agressive xc against big bore bikes in a day. I clean the air filter when it looks brown, I change the oil, filter every 400-500 miles. I'll bet I must have 2500 miles on it and it still runs like a honda should. I have heard about valve problems , but havn't had any problems at all. My lnly complaint is I can tell a loss of power at high elevations 5000+ which just means I need to quit being so lazy and re-jet it when I go up high like I do with my old CR.

My red banger (07) did 120 hrs on the stock piston/rings (although the stock inlet valves went west at 80hrs). Now at 191 hrs with another set of stock and going strong. Oil gets dumped every 10 hrs and airfilter gets changed after every major ride. I bought a bunch of stock filters because the aftermarket ones don't have the sealing lip of the stocker. A mixed bag of trails & harescrambles/enduros in the clubman class (3rd overall in class for 07 harescrambles)

is it unreasonable to wait until it burns oil to replace it?

I heard that the pistons explode in 2t's if you go too long...

Yes 2Ts like to break pistons apart but 2Ts also fire twice as often Wiating until it starts ti burn oil is innacurate way of measuring. Id just do it every 75-100 depending on how comfortable you are tearing your motor apart.