Sign in to follow this  

Weeble Wobble

Snow4aaron,

Do you have any pictures of your Scotts setup. I have a Scotts damper on my Ducati Monster and would like to use it on my DR650 as well.

Try doing a search, there might be some other posts you can dig up but here is one recent http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=384695&parentpage=3 . His pics are at the bottom.

When I had my tires installed, they said don't bother to balance them if you off-road because they'll immediately fly off.

They say this for 3 reasons:

1. They are too lazy to do it and THEY feel it's a waste of time.

2. They think you don't ride enough high speeds for long stretches to matter.

3. They think you ride the bike primarily off road, which means if you have any amount of mud adding weight to the wheel, it makes a balance job ineffective.

Wobble is well-known in the motorcycle engineering community. It is a side-effect of the motorcycle's design, not a symptom of a mechanical problem. See, for example, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_wobble

Basically, as I understand it, wobble is an harmonic oscillation at higher speeds that is triggered by an outside force (gust of wind, bump in road) and perpetuated by certain road harmonics or operator input.

I have found that I can quickly dampen a wobble on my DRZ by putting more weight on the pegs, leaning forward into the wind, and pushing forward on the handlebar grips equally (acting somewhat like a steering damper).

Experiments that I tried that made a wobble worse: (1) higher speeds, (2) gusty winds, (3) pulling on handlebar, (4) manually countering the wobble by steering (don't do this!!!). As near as I could tell from my experiments, the remaining suggestions (modifications to tires, fender, or suspension settings) neither improve wobble nor make it worse than stock, if there was nothing wrong to begin with.