Cuttin out on top after jetting

05 WR450,,,,, :applause: Just got the JD kit and fuel screw put in. Definitely worth the effort...So I took it for a ride and found that cutting out feeling on the top end while cruising. Everything else was good. I am not sure what that means but I would like to find out. Heres my set up for the guys who know stuff :prof:

Throttle stop gone

Baffle removed

Snorkel removed

Grey wire off

Accelerator pump O-ringed

170 main

Blue JD 4th clip (I think that this could be it)

Zip ty 1.5 out

Stock everything else

Elevation: Mobile AL 50' to 2 or 300'

Temperature: 80 -100 deg

Humid as hell, likely 80% plus

I checked the Sticky on jetting but still left me with questions.

Help a brotha understand...

:D

with that temp shouldn't you be running the red needle.I just rejet my bike for hot weather it ran perfect no bog no hesitation im in cali riding in the desert.

Which clip position should I run though? The kit says blue low alt/low temp red high alt/high temp....well I am low alt and high temp... So I went with the low alt first since the spare clip was on the blue one and got what I described above :applause:

First of all, I ride in the exact same conditions as you. :applause:

You seem rich on the main jet, I use a 168 and I got full procircuit exhaust.

Try a 168 and even the 165 to find out what works best for you. You may be surprised at the difference in what one jet size will do.

The JD blue #4 is very rich for our climate, I have had far greater success with the red needle in #4 when real hot and sticky and in #5 when it cools down a bit and the humidity is lower.

Try a 168 and even the 165 to find out what works best for you. You may be surprised at the difference in what one jet size will do.

The JD blue #4 is very rich for our climate, I have had far greater success with the red needle in #4 when real hot and sticky and in #5 when it cools down a bit and the humidity is lower.

Appreciate the thread matty05. Yeah this waiting for a reply got old and I swapped to the red and put it on the 4th clip.

:prof:

I noticed that the bike was running cooler so I figured I was rich. I may try the 168 but the 165 is stock and it was pretty lean before. Glad to know that my guess on the needle was a goody. I like the cool nature of the rich runnin motor so I may stick with the 170 and suffer till winter :D

Yep, totally agree with Matty

I had a similar problem on my 06 as soon as it got warm...

was running a 168 JD Red 5 which was fine until the temps rose above 80 and the same humidity (I started with 170 and JD blue 3- fine below 15c)

JD RED 4 fixed it and the bike runs much cleaner through the rev range.

The WR is very sensitive to jetting especially if slightly Rich.

When the temps return to below 25c (77f) I'll first raise the needle again.

Just to confirm - TRY a 168MJ and Red #4 :D

I dont the same as you did, free type mods and the sticky jetting for my altitude/temp and mine temporarily cuts out also when driving fairly fast at light throttle, and it never die it before i done the mods/jetting, I know my jets are clean as the bike is almost new but i still can't figure out what is going on....I tried to pull the chock on partly when it hapens and that causes her to just bet blurbly, so i figured rich jetting would cause the same effect, so it must be lean, but i have the 48 pilot,70 starter,40 leak and 168 main jet with clip in third position. Im not sure where to go next, it's only at about 1/8 throttle it hapens, when i accelerate its ok, is yours doing the same? if so the main jet is not even a consideration, must be one of the lower speed jets, I also installed the storm fuel screw and tried to turn that in and out, in too far and i get backfire on decel, out further that problem goes away but she still feels like she's running out of fuel.

I dont the same as you did, free type mods and the sticky jetting for my altitude/temp and mine temporarily cuts out also when driving fairly fast at light throttle, and it never die it before i done the mods/jetting, I know my jets are clean as the bike is almost new but i still can't figure out what is going on....I tried to pull the chock on partly when it hapens and that causes her to just bet blurbly, so i figured rich jetting would cause the same effect, so it must be lean, but i have the 48 pilot,70 starter,40 leak and 168 main jet with clip in third position. Im not sure where to go next, it's only at about 1/8 throttle it hapens, when i accelerate its ok, is yours doing the same? if so the main jet is not even a consideration, must be one of the lower speed jets, I also installed the storm fuel screw and tried to turn that in and out, in too far and i get backfire on decel, out further that problem goes away but she still feels like she's running out of fuel.

No my troubles are probably different than yours. Mine came with a 50 leak and a 45 pilot which I am runnin with no probs. I do know that if you get a pop on decel then you are certainly runnin lean so you may wanna put the gas to it.... :applause:

but i have the 48 pilot,70 starter,40 leak and 168 main jet with clip in third position. Im not sure where to go next, it's only at about 1/8 throttle it hapens, when i accelerate its ok, is yours doing the same? if so the main jet is not even a consideration, must be one of the lower speed jets, I also installed the storm fuel screw and tried to turn that in and out, in too far and i get backfire on decel, out further that problem goes away but she still feels like she's running out of fuel.

The Main should be set first, it does have a very slight influence at other throttle settings - the jets overlap to some extent.

In your case i would try as above, you dont state the needle colour (are you running JD?). if not the needle at 3 sounds a tad lean dpending on temps/alt. Stick with the 168 then set the pilot circuit. Then you move up to the needle. BTW, your pilot circuit sounds OK, and the needle just comes into play at around 1/8 to 1/4 so if nothing else start there..

For Alabama in the summer go down to a 160 main jet Red needle in clip #4. High humidity! Enjoy! :applause:

Dang boy...160...sounds like that leanness will burn my freakin legs offf but if my red needle #4 and the 170 don't work I am gonna start walking her down that way....Thanks for the post dude

:D

trust me dude! I ride at Kentuk, The Ridge, Bankhead, Westpoint etc etc.

Put in the 160 main and stop kidding your self. Alabama is way to humid and hot for a 170 in the summer! :D

I never would have believed it till I tried it but you were freakin right....160 main and red #4 screams...runnin like a scalded dog now....+respect :applause:

For the record....45 toother is better for the hwy now with power to help. Just need to unlink my chain a little :applause:

Be careful, you don't want to take too much off your chain. Many people take that one last link out and their chain is too short!