Tarryall Campsites w/fire

We are wanting to go riding around Tarryall Res and camp, but would also like to have a fire. Stage 1 fire restrictions say no fire unless in an approved state fire ring. Does anyone know of a state campground where we could have a fire and still be able to access trails without having to trailer our bikes to the National Forest land around the Tarryall area?

We are wanting to go riding around Tarryall Res and camp, but would also like to have a fire. Stage 1 fire restrictions say no fire unless in an approved state fire ring. Does anyone know of a state campground where we could have a fire and still be able to access trails without having to trailer our bikes to the National Forest land around the Tarryall area?

There is a place "Badger Flat" OHV recreation area near by "Round Mountain campground, Happy meadows campground, Spruce Grove campground," not too far from Terrill. There many trails accesses from Round mountain and happy meadows campground. I think it's cost $10/00 for a day.

Direction: W, US Hwy 24, pass Lake Gorge maybe just couple of miles CR 77 on the right.

Just remember if your fire gets out of hand, and they find out it was yours, you are going to be paying the costs of that for the rest of your life.

Just forget the fire till the rains come back.

I agreed. I hope everyone remember the "Heyman fire"... The Heyman fire heppened right there in that area, because I know, I report it that day.

I live in Bailey and this discussion has come up a few times. It is my understanding that Park County or other counties may have fire bans. Those bans do not have jurisdiction in the national forests inside that county. Check with the authorities in the area you will be lighting the fire in. Ignorance and disregard of fire bans and restrictions is becoming less tolerated up here. Please be careful and report violators.

I just got back from riding around the Tarryall areas. I rode70 miles or so. A finely there a "FIRE BAN" is an effected in Park County. The Fire Ban signs are everywhere. The "Fire Ban" that including the Pike national forest campgrounds in Park County as well. There NO OPEN FIRE PERIOD!!! That's what forest rangers had told me today. The Pike national forest rangers has been Given many, many people a tickets, everything from smoking outside, no sparkrests, drinking alcohol beverages while driving an ATVs, riding without OHV permits, etc...They are really enforcing this. Please be careful when you go riding, please use sparkrest and don't smoke outside!

We went camping and riding also. Camped at Happy Meadows camp ground and us, including the rest of the campers around us had fires, in the large iron firepits, no problems at all. Went up there Friday morning and got the last camp spot in the campground, the ranger came by at least 3 times a day to collect fees from the box and drive thru, nothing was said. In fact, he came by a couple of times selling firewood!! Fireban is in effect for non designated camping areas, in other words you cannot just drive anywhere in National Forest and make your own firepit, you have to have the fire in an establised campground in an established fire bit. Had a good time.

We rode Salida/Marshall Pass over father’s day. I reported the people that had a fire in an unimproved site as we were pulling in Thursday night. If they caused a wildfire it would block my way out putting my family at risk. The ranger said things are getting so bad they will probably be going to a stage 2 ban. That means no fires at all even in improved sites. We need to police our own and report violators. If these areas are burned they will shut them down. I know it sucks not being able to enjoy a fire but it would suck even more to lose the entire riding area. They are also starting to hold people who cause wildfires liable for damages and expenses to the point your life will be impacted $$$$$$. It’s not worth it.

As CRF230 stated,,PLEASE be careful! Common sense goes a long way. Even in a designated fire ring, sparks can fly. We are WAY dry. I have camped all my life around here with fires, but am too scared to have one. I dont want my name in the paper! Take care, frank

The fire bans here are pretty lame. In the North West they have fire bans that don't allow anyone to even be in the woods. No commercial logging takes place, and fire watches are posted by 13:00. I remember my father getting a ticket for being late out of the woods one time where we were up decking logs for a hightower operation. The USFS in WA, and OR does not mess around. Then again, they have a lot more to loose in timber than we do here in Colorado. There are more trees in one county in WA, than in the whole state of CO. Just an observation.

TJ