Sign in to follow this  

Help A Big Newbie With Dr650 Questions

Hi Everyone .

I,m taking the MSF course currently and I'm in the market for my first DualSport. I'm 5'10'' tall & weigh 285 lbs. - here are my questions : 1. when I sit on the dr650se

i can barely put the front of one foot on the ground,the dealer told me that the bike would( settle )with use over the course of a few hundred miles. If it is supposed to (settle) in normal use are the suspension components going to continue to(Settle)over the entire life of the bike,and if so how much? I wanted them to quote me a price on doing the lowering kit but they seemed to hedge on this. Question 2 : How will the dr650 hold up hauling my large carcass around ? Question 3 : In it's stock form can I reasonably expect it to cruise at 75+ mph with my wt. on it? and Question 4 Will suzuki make the dr650se in

black like the drz400sm? that bike is by far the best looking bike dualsport suzuki makes! thanks for your help!

:applause:

1. I doubt if it will settle much, but the lowering kit is a piece of cake to

install, even if you do it yourself.

2. Should be no problem. I ride with my wife on back (350 lbs total) with no

problems.

3. It willl pull you cruising at 75 all day but it is tiring no matter what you

weigh. Get a GS for that kind of riding. This a more dirt-oriented dual

sport.

4. Sorry, not a clue.

I'm 5' 10" and 270 (down from 288 when I bought mine) and I stand flat footed.

Is the rear spring load cranked up real high? Maybe you just aren't set up for the correct sag?

What's your inseam? Mines 32" and the bike doesn't sit any lower now than it did new.

Joe

Sounds like your dealer is as full of crap as mine. Don't count on the spring settling at all in the first decade. Get it set up right at first. I'm 5'-8" and I can touch fine... not flat-footed but fine. You can do the lowering yourself, but if you're buying it from a dealer, they should certainly be able to do that for you. Ask them if a simple mod like that will really keep them from selling it. But don't let them do like my dealer did: They lowered the rear but left it up to me to get the short kickstand. I had to be very careful how I parked for the next two weeks. Then I had to lower the front myself but it really didn't make much difference. Be sure to set the preload on the rear spring, too. Again, no a big deal, and they should be able to set it up for you. Yes, you can expect it to haul you around well, and it will only run better with your weight at 75 mph; but expect the new bike to lug 5th gear at speeds below 60 until you get about 1000 miles on it (unless you plan to break it in with a vengeance). I like the black, too! Wish they would make one but I have no idea if they ever will.

I like the black, too! Wish they would make one but I have no idea if they ever will.

I saw a black DRZ400SM on The Dragon last week......sweet bike!

Joe

thanks , my inseam is 30". I really feel that if the bike was just 1.5 inches lower i would have more confidence, remember I'm almost a newbie, I rode dirt bikes as a teen , i hadn't been on a bike (Before my msf class today)

for 26 yrs.. I had my eyes opened wide with this experiance.Having last ridden a Honda XL350,I was placed in the saddle of a Suzuki gz250, I could hardly believe how quick that LITTLE bike was - but it was probably just a newbie lack of bike time. Some things came back to me - other things I never knew, had a GREATTT time!

My wife has a GZ250 (single cyl, 19 HP). If you thought that was quick you are really going to enjoy what the modern world of motorcycle has available.

I'm 5'7", 160lbs soaking wet, also a nOOb rider, and just purchased an '06 DR650. I can barely tiptoe both feet, but have no problem with the height now. I love it in fact. Nothing beats being able to look over at a driver in an SUV and be eye to eye with them. Don't let the height scare you away from the bike, you will get use to it and probably learn to love it. Some riders consider flat footing on a motorcycle a bad habit anyway.

Call Jesse at Keintech for info on springs. Your stock springs are too soft for anyone over 140 lbs.There is no way you can get anything like the correct sag at 285. Jesse fixed me up with Eibach springs. Best mod I have done !! Have fun!!

You could just go for the gel seat Suzuki makes... drops it 1 1/2" and (in my opinion) is a much better seat. I weigh a whopping 125lbs. and have a 30" inseam. I got the gel seat and did lower the rear (the way Suzuki recommends, not a big deal) but not the front, When I first got the 05', I got the seat and that made a huge improvement but when I would ride it felt like I was sliding forward all the time (maybe cause I'm a toothpick) so I lowered just the rear to help level it out. Love it now!!! BTW, I work at a Suzuki dealership as a mechanic, and if they won't lower the bike for free or for a small fee I'd look somewhere else... It's not that big of a deal to do the lowering.

I'm almost the same weight.

I haven't done the springs yet, but I can tell you that the bike will handle your weight no problem.

I've had my bike into (and out of) situations that would make most 2-stroke MX guys wince. The bike will "git' 'er done"

enjoy it.

Josh.

My wife has a GZ250 (single cyl, 19 HP). If you thought that was quick you are really going to enjoy what the modern world of motorcycle has available.

I was thinking the same thing. If he thinks a 250 is quick he should take my ZZR1200 for a spin.

Or....maybe not. :applause:

Joe

I am only 5'4" on a good day and have a DR650, I have it set at its lowest setting (you don't need a kit for this, unlike the KLR) and I also have a gel seat, I have no problems with the height at all, infact after coming off my CRF it feels small! If I keep one foot on the back brake at junctions, I can flat foot with the other, and I have short legs!!!! Good luck!

thanks everyone , i just finished the second day of the MSF

riding section, i'm feeling a little flustered,I can do evverything just about right, but always a little bit off- I don't feel that I get enough repetitions during the course to feel confident with all the manuevers that are being taught. I hope that I'm not really thick, everyone else in the class struggles with one thing or the other but I seem to struggle with one portion of every exercise-Just hope I get through it ok :applause: but anyway keep up the responses about the dr650se and any problems you feel i may encounter with it. TY :D

thanks everyone , i just finished the second day of the MSF

riding section, i'm feeling a little flustered,I can do evverything just about right, but always a little bit off- I don't feel that I get enough repetitions during the course to feel confident with all the manuevers that are being taught. I hope that I'm not really thick, everyone else in the class struggles with one thing or the other but I seem to struggle with one portion of every exercise-Just hope I get through it ok :applause: but anyway keep up the responses about the dr650se and any problems you feel i may encounter with it. TY :D

The good news is that once you get past the class and into real world riding you'll never need to do a figure 8 in a box painted on the pavement. :prof:

Joe

I am 190lbs and have a 29" inseam. I sit almost flat footed at this point(8000 miles). Shocks settle quite a bit by 2000 miles. I don't see how with your weight you are not flat footed even on a new bike???

I would recommend lowering the bike anyway as having knees bent AND flat footed are very helpful to a new rider. I had street bikes before the DR and dropped it a few times DOWN hill because I forgot how tall it is comparatively. At your weight you are going to want new springs front and rear pretty soon after you get it. They bike is sprung for a 150lb rider. Had my 100 lb nephew on back of road and it was HORRIBLE. Bottomed on ever bump in the rear with preload cranked the whole `way.

The DR is a tall bike but it's not THAT tall. I wonder if the bike in the showroom was set up super hard on the preloads for some reason.

Also while the nonsense about settling is crap there IS some extra friction in the fork and shock seals when new. To give the bike a chance you should drive the forks down a little while seated on the bike and bounce the saddle a couple of times. This will push the bike down to a new "rest" position past the seal stickiness position. Then see how well your feet touch down.

I've got a 34 inch inseam and can easily flat foot with slightly bent knees on a DR650 so I don't think you should have any problem getting stable on both feet with 32 inches. You may not be quite flat footed but you should still be able to get a good grounding. It may take a bit of tuning on the stock stuff but you should not need to lower it at all other than just properly tuning the stock stuff for proper preload and damping adjustments.