Sign in to follow this  

Adventure tires?

Does anyone have experience with Kenda 761's on a DR650? I'm looking for a 80/20 set and it seems to be between 761's at <$100.00; Metzler Tourance at $214.00; or Michelin Anakee $210.00 or Sirac at $215.00. Are these twice as good, last twice as long as Kenda's? I'll be riding in some rain on the road (as little as possible), and will spring for the better tires if it's really needed. I could also use the $100.00 for new fork springs. Any help would be welcome.

Thanks,

kellog

I have run Anakee and Tourance. Right now I have T. front and A. rear on my DR 650 and A. front with T. rear on my DL1000. How this came to be starts with a new Tourance front and rear on the DL that created a unsolvable shake starting at 30 MPH and continuing on up. With dealer help Metzler replaced the front tire but I had bought an Anakee in the mean time. Other sites have threads about the Tourance problem. The DR has a Anakee rear that had been removed from the DL after 8000 miles. I put it on just to see if the 150 would fit but it is still there with the warrenty replacement Tourance in the front on a 19" rim. The Anakee is susposed to be the traction leader in the wet. I like 'em.

Thanks for reply. Man, just as I decide on a tire, more info comes out to change it up again. Well, this is what the forums are all about. Anakee has also been real high on my list, so I'll check 'em out more. Looking at Avon's too.

Thanks again,

kellog

Had my super-moto wheels and tires on yesterday and headed up a dirt road to find a sand-pit and mud-hole at the end of road....decided to play around a while. With these wheels and tires on this WAS Adventure riding at its finest. Slide up onto the tank and keep her WFO all the time. I highly recommend this as a cure for a boring afternoon. Screw the knobbies....full steam ahead. :applause::D:prof:

Kenda is a nice tire but it's not as good as the others you metioned. It depends on how you ride. If you're into only semi sporty style riding then the Kenda will likely do the job for you. If you want to push it then the stickier rubber of the others will provide that last 10 to 20% of traction that you will be looking for.

The profile shows this too. The Kenda has a "flatter" profile to the tread when we mounted a set on my wife's old DR350 compared to the Pirellis on my own DR350. It wasn't a big deal but it shows that the Kenda is intended more for a semi casual riding style. Grip wise the Kendas we've had seem to provide about a 75% solution for 1/2 the price of the fancier tires. They also last longer. So if that fits in with your style of riding then you'll be happy. If the world looks better with your head tilted at more extreme angles then stick with the fancier options.

And add the Pirelli Scorpions to your list of fancy options. Lovely tires.

And I know from personal experience that a Trailwing front and Scorpion rear gives a nice combo that feels neutral but stable in trim. Ran a set in a couple of motard days here and they stick great on pavement and made the bike feel very nice.

I know it's not a direct comparison but, I rode a triumph tiger from Portland, OR to Las Vegas two weeks ago and it has the Anakees stock. Oregon was very wet the entire time I rode through, those tires provided excellent wet weather grip. The remainder of the trip was mostly highway so dry grip wasn't tested as far as railing some corners. All I can say is the Anakee is Impressive. :excuseme:

I run Anakees on my Strom, GREAT tire, really sticks good in the rain

But on the DR, I only run knobbies, MT21 on front (just trying to wear it out) Kenda Trackmaster on the back, wears and handles surprisingly well on the street

I have the Kenda Trakmaster II on both the front and rear. The tires are DOT certified and are specified as 80% dirt and 20% street. They do howl some on the road, but wear well. Any knobby will wallor a little when going into a curve or corner hard.

I run about 95% dirt and they work well for me. Not quite the traction as my Yamaha YZ490 or Hona CR250R, but for fast trail riding and a suspension upgrade from Jesse at Kientech, I can hold my own. The suspension upgrade made a big difference for me as I was ALWAYS bottoming the unit out. Since the upgrades (.50Kg/mm front fork springs) and (4.7Kg/mm rear shock spring with adapter), I find it is much more plush than the Honda (made more for large jumps and highly agressive compression environments).

The suspension stiffening made a big difference on how the whole bike felt on the road and trails.

I personally run Avon Gripsters for Road trips and Front-Pirelli MT-21/Rear-Mitas E-09 for a more agressive dirt package.

The gripster rear will get me 10K+

The Mitas rear i expect to get 4-5K

Just got back from doing 2200+ miles in 5 days. Love those Tourances! Did 140 miles in driving rain in Minnesota. No problem. Coming back to Colorado took the twisties up Left Hand Canyon and the Peak to Peak and with me and 70 lbs of "stuff" on the bike it would just lean and grip. Now have over 7300 miles on them and they are starting to show a little wear.