Dropped the bike today...

Took it out for 15 minutes and was turning around on a tight trail that had a decent size gully running down the middle of it. Well, even for a 6' 3" guy this bike is TALL. I couldn't touch the ground and it just started to fall on its left side and I dropped it in the dirt. The only thing I see wrong is the clutch lever is bent because it dug into the dirt.

Is there a preferred way to unbend it (heat, etc) or should I just grab the lever with pliers and pull?

Search is disabled, so I can't look there...

Thanks

Tim

Tim,

I've "dropped" my bike dozens of times -- literally. On this section of trail alone, the bike has gone down a dozen times.

DSCF0768.jpg

DSCF0766.jpg

Handguards are a must to protect the clutch and brake levers. It's almost impossible to break them with a good set of guards on the bars.

My shift lever has bent only once. And that's after countless encounters with rocks. The rear brake lever has taken hit after hit. Just needs to get the dirt and rocks cleaned out of it and it's good to go.

My swingarm has a few healthy gouges taken out of it. I have a disk guard on the front, but the rear brake rotor and caliper keep coming away undamaged.

I have been truly amazed at how bullet proof the DRZ is.

The only thing I see wrong is the clutch lever is bent because it dug into the dirt.

Is there a preferred way to unbend it (heat, etc) or should I just grab the lever with pliers and pull?

Tim

It's probably best to buy a new lever. If you look on FleaBay or some of the dirt-bike stores, non-OE parts can be picked up for just a few dollars.

But as harjp1959 says, some decent handguards are a must. Get some with a metal bar that runs right through them. I've dropped my DR-Z loads of times (dumped it on tarmac in the London rush-hour a couple of weeks ago!! :applause: ) and each time the levers are undamaged, although the handguards now have a few scuffs!

BF

Dropped mine about a month ago and did the same thing!!! Bent clutch lever. I just bought a new one. The perch and lever cost me $35. I kept the old one for spare parts. P.S. this was my shoulder even with leather protection!!!ouch!!.JPG:D:applause:

ouch. thats why I prefer a dirty DRZ.

Thanks for the replies guys. I bought some drz stealth at the local dealer, but they didn't fit so I returned them. I've gotta figure out what to get cause I'm not sure about mounting them and what I'll need extra, etc...

Will any clutch lever fit, or do I need a DRZ specific one?

Thanks again!

Tim

I have put teflon tape under my levers for years, the stuff you use to seal water pipes. When you crash the levers just spin and dont gall up your bars.

Also it helps to drill a small hole in the lever about two fingers from the inside, then the lever just snaps off at the hole and you get to run a shorty lever for the rest of the ride. I one finger the clutch anyways so when mine broke I didnt bother getting a new one.

I had same problem. My clutch lever was not bent too bad so I just got a large enough socket to fit over the ball, then applied leverage. The metal is soft enough to bend back into shape without breaking. If you use pliers find a way to avoid direct contact with the lever -- to avoid gouging it.