Sign in to follow this  

What GPS Unit Sould I buy? Mount kit?

I remember seeing a guy on here who removed his stock speedo and replaced it with a gps and It looked slick as hell. I think I was searching "cyclops" on the search function when I saw the pic. I'll look for it and post it up if I find it.

FYI I always check pricegrabber.com for any purchase like this.

Hey, AL E --- What length arm did you go with? Where did you get the bolt mountable base?

salescircular.com is another good "best price" kindof website.

FYI I always check pricegrabber.com for any purchase like this.

Hey, AL E --- What length arm did you go with? Where did you get the bolt mountable base?

It's the "Normal RAM arm" 3.5 inches long.

The bolt mountable base is from Cycoactive and is a RAM I think I purchased the RAM Angle Mount Adapter with 9mm Hole.

Al E

But why don't you mount it in the centre of the bars, it would be almost 100% crash proof.
No can do! Handlebar pad! (Which wasn't in that pic, but it's usually on.)

No can do! Handlebar pad! (Which wasn't in that pic, but it's usually on.)

Harry, will it not strap around the pad ?

Or on a bracket where the stock speed used to sit.

Neil. :applause::D:prof:

Oh by the way people; word of advice from a licenced electrician (me); always use a fuse if you add any wiring to your bike!

Especially if you connect to the battery terminals - cheap insurance in case there is a fault, a wiring melt down could burn through hoses and the original wiring looms as well as kill the battery and/or generator/rectifier - regulator etc.

A fuse will also help protect your GPS.

Fuse must not be higher than the rating of the wire used, so, if you use 10 amp wire the biggest fuse you can use is 10 amp (fuse will still blow before the wire melts) but if say 'Garmin' say to use a 0.5amp fuse to protect the GPS then that's what you use.

One other thing; Magellan have changed the specs of the Explorist 100 to say "water resistant" where the spec used to be IP7x (waterproof to 1 metre).

There was a reason for this as I found the hard way - my explorist 100 rode the XR250 I had through a rather wet rainy ride for an hour or so and seemed to work fine until after it dried out, then the zoom buttons wouldn't work properly and the unit was replaced under warranty.

I have since gone to Garmin GPS 60, Garmin make better GPS and have better reputation.

I have since gone to Garmin GPS 60, Garmin make better GPS and have better reputation.

The bush mapping for the Garmin's is nowhere near as detailed in Australia though.

I have owned a few GPS's now and have had a far better run out of the Magellan units so far. I had two Garmin's fail and the distributor wanted nothing to do with it because they had been used on a bike for a short length of time :excuseme:

I guess it just depends what you want do with them?

Here a dumb question about these GPS units...

Can it be easily used to find you in the woods? My riding buddy passed away recently, so lately I have been doing alot of riding on my own. Always wondered what I would do If I crashed and was really injured. I try to explain to my wife where I will be heading but I might as well tell her "to the moon". I have seen co-workers track their teenagers online with GPS cell phones. Does Garmin offer this capability? If so, how well does it work? Is it a website or something?

No, a GPS is a receiver only (the units we are talking about here). However, if you are lost or injured, can read your GPS and have a means of communication, you can relay the info.

Here a dumb question about these GPS units...

Can it be easily used to find you in the woods? My riding buddy passed away recently, so lately I have been doing alot of riding on my own. Always wondered what I would do If I crashed and was really injured. I try to explain to my wife where I will be heading but I might as well tell her "to the moon". I have seen co-workers track their teenagers online with GPS cell phones. Does Garmin offer this capability? If so, how well does it work? Is it a website or something?

I bought a Garmin Rino 530 which has a two-way radio with about a 14 mile range. It works pretty good (I ride with a buddy who uses the same GPS) and in a pinch I hope someone could hear me over the radio if I needed help.

The other option would be a satellite phone, but those are crazy expensive.

:excuseme:

I bought a Garmin Rino 530 which has a two-way radio with about a 14 mile range. It works pretty good (I ride with a buddy who uses the same GPS) and in a pinch I hope someone could hear me over the radio if I needed help.

The other option would be a satellite phone, but those are crazy expensive.

:thumbsup:

The rhinos actually have a polling option don't they? If your buddy has a rhino he can poll yours and it shows where you are on his I believe.

I am looking at the garmin zumo as its a dedicated motorcycle one (looks good) and will take the topo maps for trail riding and allows you to plan routes on your pc, unlike my tom tom rider which is only good for the road.

google it for all the info

I think it's supposed to be released in october but is pricey. :thumbsup:

My question is "Can you read these in real time WHILE RIDING ON ROUGH TRAILS?"

I have a iPaq with GPS add on ant it works sweetly in the car. Big color display and runs on 12V.

I can get a waterproof Otterbox and Ram mount for about $250 altogether.

But will I be able to see it while I'm riding?

When DS riding I throw on my Garmin E-Trex. Picked up a handle bar mount at REI and it works slick. Mounted it next to my left side grip, don't even know it's there until I look. Display is good and legible. I usually take it off when bangin' trees. Runs for about 17 hrs on two AA's.... :thumbsup:

Here is the one I like..I currently have an etrex on my DRZ mounted with the cheap Garmin mount..No problems..This is a very nice unit flexible between bike, car and handheld. Does auto routing and has a memory card...As soon as I free up some dinero I am getting one.

Garmin 60csx

Best price....

Here

Here is the one I like..I currently have an etrex on my DRZ mounted with the cheap Garmin mount..No problems..This is a very nice unit flexible between bike, car and handheld. Does auto routing and has a memory card...As soon as I free up some dinero I am getting one.

Garmin 60csx

Best price....

Here

That's not the best price...I've seen it for $369 plus 17 s/h and no tax - 50 rebate....I'm almost pulling the trigger on it.