Sign in to follow this  

KTM 400EXC or DRZ400SM?

OK, I finally have the money together to get a supermotard. I was going to get a DRZ400SM at first but after a chance conversation with the local KTM dealer, he has a 2001 400EXC with the dual sport conversion already done for about $2000 less than the 400SM...this leaves me with extra money to buy 17" wheels of choice :applause:

What are your thoughts on these two? I know the EXC comes with WP suspension but I'm not sure about the motor...faster? torquier?

Thanks for your help!

I'd go with the DRZ. It'll be more reliable and a little more comfortable for road use. You'd have to do quite a bit of maintainence on the KTM if you started to put any kind of road miles on it.

The KTM is a great bike but not for the street. It doesn't hold enough oil to make it a practical commuter. Get the DRZ.

depends on what bikes you own already and what you are used to.

if you plan on goin motard on a track and crazy on the streets go the ktm

if you are fine with the maintainence issues go the ktm if not go the suzuki

if you plan on comuting and givin it a bit every now and then the suzuki would be the go

ktm pros

faster more power more racy

cons

lots more maintainence way more expensive to own not good for comuting

DRZ pros

fair dab of power easy as maintainence way cheaper

cons

in a race situation or when you are hard on it the DRZ wont be as fast

hope you make the right choice

alright, thanks guys. it looks like the DRZ is the way to go. I don't really mind the maintenance cos I can do it all myself, its just the cost I won't be able to afford cos I spent it all on the bike! :applause:

but the KTM is so cool...

Dude, I just rode a street model DRZ400 this past weekend and it is a complete DOG!!!! I've had my "E" DRZ for a couple years and love it but the street model sm or s. no way. if you do your own maintenance anyway, go with the KTM!!!!

Its going to be for both street and track. That's the thing. If it was just for the track, I'd get the KTM but seeing as this will be a daily commuter and trackday bike, it makes things a little more difficult.

Even better, buy a DRZe and SM it. On the other hand it doesn't take all that much to crank up a SM - just ask the DRZ forum guys!

Its going to be for both street and track. That's the thing. If it was just for the track, I'd get the KTM but seeing as this will be a daily commuter and trackday bike, it makes things a little more difficult.

No such thing as the perfect bike. It's all about trade offs. Sounds like you need two bikes: One for the track, and one for the road.

I know its not what you asked but have you checked out the Husky SM line up, 50 state street legal. If I was going to get an SM to race and do a little riding on the street it would be the SM510 for me, of course I'm biased.

http://www.husqvarnausa.com/

The KTM gear box was not designed for street use. It has a small oil capacity.

I have to wonder if the DRZ400SM has a cush drive on the rear hub. That is when they add rubber mounts on the sprocket to cushion chain whip when down shifting.

If you go with the KTM, look into a slipper clutch and see how much one would cost. Downshifting and spiking big loads from the chain whipping is not good for the gear box.

Oh, if you have the money, look at the Husky.

If the KTM didn't look really beat up and it shifted OK, I'd go with it.

Good luck.

The KTM gear box was not designed for street use. It has a small oil capacity.

I have to wonder if the DRZ400SM has a cush drive on the rear hub. That is when they add rubber mounts on the sprocket to cushion chain whip when down shifting.

If you go with the KTM, look into a slipper clutch and see how much one would cost. Downshifting and spiking big loads from the chain whipping is not good for the gear box.

Oh, if you have the money, look at the Husky.

If the KTM didn't look really beat up and it shifted OK, I'd go with it.

Good luck.

The SM does not have a cush drive. It bolts directly to the hub like the "E" model