fuel mileage on a dr650?

2005 unmodified, I get typically 60-65 mpg around town,cruising gravel and backroad pavement in the 35-60 mph range. The worst mileage I got was low 50 mpg when I ran 75-80 mph for 200 miles. Really screaming offroad would probably tank mileage also but you would have to be crazy to try with stock gearing. It is pretty hard to get bad mileage on an unmodified bike IMHO.

I guess my next question is, How fun are these bikes bone stock? I currently ride a 91 DR250s (GUTLESS). That thing has almost gotten me killed numerous times. Max speed is about 70, and that is really ringing it out. Does the 650 have a problem doing 100? What about the brakes? I race harescrambles and MX so when I get on the street, I ride like i'm trying to make it to the next check point (ie. really hard on brakes) Thanks for all the input guys.

Sean

I just got a new DR650 last wednesday and put about 275 miles on it so far. I only checked the mpg once, and it was 48 mpg and that was beating on it a bit for the break in. This bike is quite fun stock, I have a modified 02 XR650L and this DR isn't any less fun to ride.

Mine like to run about 65-70 on the highway, thats just where it likes to be. I've run it up to 90 and it seemed like it had a bit more. You could run this bike at 80 all day!

since the mods, i'm getting right at 50 mpg. the bike is super fun, even when stock.

as far as top speed, i got mine going 102 on the trail wings. you'd have to be nuts to go that fast with the d606's.

as for the brakes, they're not too bad. could be better, could be worse. the bike is fairly heavy, and once you get some decent tires on there, it definitely has to work to stop in a hurry...

Mileage: just shy of 70 while breaking in (max 1/2 throttle), about 40 with headwinds, hills, wife, etc, 55 or so average.

Fun: Yes and LOTS (unless you're used to 120hp literbikes...). I'm one of those for whom fun decreases as speed increases past 50mph. The thing is a tractor lower down, and great fun between 15 and 45. :applause:

I just got back up to 50mpg all side roads running hard.

It has a 160 jet and a 16t. Going from a 170 jet to a 160 added a couple mpg's but the 16t did not do much because I ride in 4th more now (60-70 mph). I am sure out touring the 16t will add some mileage

Keep in mind that the speedos on these bikes vary ALOT and the reported mileage varies with it. My top speed went from 100ish to 104ish with the 16t

bone stock '06... 38-53 mpg.

it's usually WFO :excuseme:

Is there some other throttle mode?

I was surprised with the 16t thing. I have a few roads on my commute that I know how fast the bike will get up to before I get to some landmark. The 16t gets going faster than the 15t did in all my speed run spots (note I don't start from a standstill). The mileage even though I was doing speed runs still stayed about the same. I guess it's cause I usually ride it like I stole it anyway

I must say that I was getting about 45-50 MPG with the trail wings. Got up to about 110 MPH . At 1800 miles I had to get rid of the wings and got pirelli scorpions. They are great off road tires but really wobble at 100 MPH, on the road. And now I am getting about 40-42 MPG. Must say I like the bike its bone stock 99'. Looking to do a few mods when the calling comes. :excuseme:

I just got back up to 50mpg all side roads running hard.

It has a 160 jet and a 16t. Going from a 170 jet to a 160 added a couple mpg's but the 16t did not do much because I ride in 4th more now (60-70 mph).

Dude I can't figger why your milage sucks :excuseme: WindScreen? Maybe take those mirrors off,,,, something is causing wind drag???????

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=3854

Dude I can't figger why your milage sucks :excuseme: WindScreen? Maybe take those mirrors off,,,, something is causing wind drag???????

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=3854

I rode that setup this weekend (50mpg, but I was on more open roads than my normal commute. Kind of weird, since I lowered the bike I get the headshake at 5-10mph with the bike a bike. Goes right away when you you get on it or brake, but crawling up to a stop sign is tough. I think I might be lifting the front too high with it

check this bike-a-bike rig out

http://www.cycle-cny.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1933