XR70 CLICKING (slipping?) Noise

Okay heard something I don't dig. While riding the mighty XR70 there is a loud CLICKing sound coming from what sounds like the chain by the countershaft sprocket.

The sprockets are new, chain is new, chain adjusted right, and I'm concerned that what I might really be hearing is something slipping in the tranny and you can just hear it through the countershaft...

It doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it's under power, most of the time though it's while cruising along - almost like the tranny is skipping a tooth or slipping across a tooth or something... any clue?

BTW, just put the BBR 50cc mini bars on the bike. I didn't know 100% for sure if they'd fit, but man it's nice not to drill your knees into the bottom of the stock bars all the time!

I have the 20mm TB carb on it so it came with a long throttle cable, and I picked up an CRF/XR80 front brake cable and it slips right into place no problem - like it was made for that set up.

Mike

Do you have an aftermarket skid plate on it? Sometimes, at certain set RPMs, the skid plate may vibrate with a tinny sound to it. Also, is your cam chain adjuster set properly? A loose cam chain could be slapping around inside, and may sound as if it is coming from the countershaft sprocket.

The sound is definately coming from the countershaft area. It's not a slapping it's a click with a lurch - almost like the bike is trying to go in/out of gear for a moment. Or like a chain was slipping - but it's not it's adjusted perfect and there's not enough looseness for it to happen...

I was just concerned maybe something in the tranny was slipping/popping and the power to the countershaft sprocket was being delayed for a moment so I was hearing the loud CLICK because the sprocket was slamming back into the chain.

So none of this sounds like a common problem then?

Sounds like I might be due for a tear down - I'll do a basic tune up first and see if it cures the problem - if not... dum-dee-dum-dummm might as well do the big bore so I can figure out what's wrong in there right? LOL

MP

is it on one ger or all? click with a lurch, sounds like you broke your transmission somehow. stop riding it and check your oil for metal. if you find chips of steel in there, thats bad.

pull that clutch cover and make sure everything is good, ajust your clutch.

I agree it sounds like your chain. The manual says to let it have about 3/4 of an inch of free play.

It also could be your dual risen flange. Or possibly your chrome muffler bearings need to be replaced. I would say to check your blinker fluid, but that doesn't really apply. Hahahaha.....