Sign in to follow this  

Best paint?

My bike is old and I want to rattlecan the front fender and sides. Any reccommendations on what type of paint to use?

I tried some no prep no primer plastic paint and it did not work well at all.I ended up sanding lightly with fine paper and using krylon primer and paint worked great.I just touch it up a little after a fall.

Krylon has a paint spicifically for plastic that they've been giving alot of hype. Havn't used it myself though so if you go that route let us know how it turns out.

Mike.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the Krylon and keep you posted.

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the Krylon and keep you posted.

The Krylon paint is called Fusion..or something similar. I've used it quite a bit on plastic models, and it does a great job. I did test spray the stock 'handguards' from my 650, they are not on the bike, and it seems to be a pretty darn good paint for that purpose. Of course I dunno about falls, spills, and scratches...but look into it, might be ok.

Has anyone tried Vinyl from say a Sign Shop. I have a friend that does Vinyl signs, and the stuff comes in every color, and is very easy to apply. if it gets damaged just peel it off and apply new!!!

Todd

I've blacked out all the plastic on my bike with the black Krylon Fusion paint. It works pretty well. Personally I think its fine for a bike that is basically a dirtbike, but I'm sure guys who like really clean shiny Harleys would think its terrible.

Last time I redid the paint it came out really bad, very crinkly, I think it was a little too cold that day. Now that we are in June that shouldn't be a problem.

If I could figure out how to get a pic of my 91 on this website, trust me, you'de see that looks mean nothing to me. I ride it hard and it's taken it's share of falls over 31K miles. Gonna try and paint most of it this weekend. Anyone know how to remove the factory decal on the metal tank? Seems like its undrneath a clearcoat.