Sign in to follow this  

Msf Dirtbike School

Well...I'm official. :prof: Attended Dirtbike School. It was fun. Great to just get seat time with a bunch of other "newbies". And no...I was not in a class with a bunch of 12 yr olds. They set the classes up so adults can learn w/ adults and kids w/ kids. They provide the gear and bikes. Since I had my own I just brought them.

It's pretty long. About 6 hours of instruction and riding(lunch and potty breaks included). They cover the basics. And the importance of checking out your bike before hitting the trail...tire pressure(ehhumm Stacey :prof: j/k)amongst other things.

I wanted to make sure I'm doing things the right way and have good position while doing so.

I did learn a bunch and it helped with my confidence level. Seat time is always good :applause: And I met some really nice people.

Can't wait to get out there again :D

They cover the basics. And the importance of checking out your bike before hitting the trail...tire pressure(ehhumm Stacey :prof: j/k)amongst other things.

Yeah, yeah, minor details :applause: It didn't matter that I had 4psi last night front and rear - I was going too slow to matter. If Scott tries to talk you into riding Holton, laugh at him, that place is kinda tight :D

What all did they teach you Bonnie? I find myself flailing around and using my mountain bike skills, but that falls short w/clutching etc. I'm still trying to figure out how to get the front end up!!

Stacey

That's great that they have a dirtbike class now. Most of the things you check before you ride apply to both off and on road bikes. But when it comes to riding the bike that's where they seperate. Well, enjoy yourself.

Well they taught the basics...feeling the pull from the clutch(the friction zone), correct position for riding seated and standing, using counterbalance to help steer the bike, position and how to cross fallen logs (actually only landscape timbers), environment safety and keeping the trails ride-able.

As far as getting the front end up, shift your weight back on the seat and give it some gas right before the log and make sure you are at 90 degrees to said obstacle. Of course it depends on how big of an obstacle you are trying to cross. For the larger ones I defer to YZman or some other experienced riders, pretty sure you need to add pulling back on your bars but I am no way ready for that stuff yet.

Mark W from dirtrider.net gave Scott some info on a field to go practice skills on. I would be up for that. Set up some cones and I could bring a landscape timber or two to practice with. Don't know when though since the kids are out of school and I have 4 to entertain.

Well...I'm official. :bonk: Attended Dirtbike School. It was fun. Great to just get seat time with a bunch of other "newbies". And no...I was not in a class with a bunch of 12 yr olds. They set the classes up so adults can learn w/ adults and kids w/ kids. They provide the gear and bikes. Since I had my own I just brought them.

It's pretty long. About 6 hours of instruction and riding(lunch and potty breaks included). They cover the basics. And the importance of checking out your bike before hitting the trail...tire pressure(ehhumm Stacey :p j/k)amongst other things.

I wanted to make sure I'm doing things the right way and have good position while doing so.

I did learn a bunch and it helped with my confidence level. Seat time is always good :excuseme: And I met some really nice people.

Can't wait to get out there again :busted:

It's awesome! Thanks for the info. I am glad that you took the class. :bonk: I rode dirtbike for 9 months now(self tough) I'll be attending dirt biking school in Sept. Though I'm taking a private lesson.

Congrats on getting to take the MSF dirt class! I'm jealous!

Hijack warning:

Hey COTrail Rider~Crf230, where are you taking dirt bike school or instruction in Colorado? Anywhere near Longmont or Denver area? When I was first learning to ride last year, I called the MSF dirt people and they said my only hope was maybe something in Montrose. Is that still true? I would still love to get some instruction -- but closer to home than Montrose.

I've taken the both beginner and advanced street MSF classes and have been riding sport bikes since the late '80s. Would the MSF dirt course be too basic for me? I'm already learning bad dirt habits, though, so it would probably be good for me. I hope it's not too late... hehe.

I have an '05 CRF230 too (and a yellow '00 VFR with a scorched Ti Micron pipe and Corbin Smuggler).

-Xinga

Even better than the basic class is the intermediate class. Give the school a call and see when they are offering one. It doesn't come around too often.

Congrats on getting to take the MSF dirt class! I'm jealous!

Hijack warning:

Hey COTrail Rider~Crf230, where are you taking dirt bike school or instruction in Colorado? Anywhere near Longmont or Denver area? When I was first learning to ride last year, I called the MSF dirt people and they said my only hope was maybe something in Montrose. Is that still true? I would still love to get some instruction -- but closer to home than Montrose.

I've taken the both beginner and advanced street MSF classes and have been riding sport bikes since the late '80s. Would the MSF dirt course be too basic for me? I'm already learning bad dirt habits, though, so it would probably be good for me. I hope it's not too late... hehe.

I have an '05 CRF230 too (and a yellow '00 VFR with a scorched Ti Micron pipe and Corbin Smuggler).

-Xinga

Hello,

I am going to taking the dirtbike class in Montrose, because I would like to ride in Rabbit Valley afterword. :excuseme::bonk::busted: I live in Woodland Park.

I think, the beginner class is too easy for you. The beginner class are for the people never ridden a dirtbike before. I believe an intermediate class is far better. I am also taking the intermediate class. I want to learn better riding techniques, so I can tackles an obsticles better. There couple places in front range have a MSF dirtbike school. You might want to check it out. You can talk to one of these people, they can help you what ever you need.

DAVE LINDEMAN: (303)-646-6503. AURORA

MSF DirtBike School: (877) 288-7093. Main school.

CASTLE ROCK, FT COLLINS: (720)-733-6900.

Jinny

to find out where classes are being held: http://www.dirtbikeschool.com/dbsloc.html

a lot of people with some riding experience do take the basic class

and all of them will learn some

maybe not during the first few lessons but after lunch brake

most riders discover their stence is odd, they shift their weight odd, ...

if you think you are beyond the basic class, your instructor if he or she will give you private lessons out on a trail