Sign in to follow this  

Aftermarket part heads up / warning

I recently purchased a product simply for the bling factor. Something that I seldom do. Well also it got me to the $100 mark to get the free shipping.

I hate to even call out the company name because I have had good service from them but I really feel as though I need to get the word out.

They were the Tusk red anodized axle sliders from Rocky Mountain for a RMZ 450.

To make a long story fairly short, the problem is that they do not have the required chamfer (actually they have none) on the corner of the vertical face (side facing inboard against the swingarm) and the upper and lower horizontal faces. This will cause a severe problem of pressing this sharp corner into the larger corner radius of the swingarm when you tighten the axle nut. The stock parts have an approx. .100" X 45 degree chamfer.

This can be easily remedied by any machine shop in just few minutes or even with a file or die grinder. If left unchecked, this could cause stress risers and even cracks in the swingarm. The least that it will do is to cause the axle not to move freely during chain adjustments after the damage has been done.

Overall I was fairly impressed with the quality of the machine work on these, especially for the $20 price tag. I have been a machinist for about 29 years. I just wanted all of my brothers here to be aware of this condition. Please feel free to post this in any forum that you deem necessary.

Also, I called Rocky MTN and made them aware of it. The guy was nice but I'm not sure what good it did and I felt as though I was wasting his time.

Be Safe, TyDog

Thanks for the heads up. I put some on my YZ and they fit great, but I was going to get some for my brother who has an RMZ. I am glad I didn't do it yet. I called rocky mountain to ask them about the problem you mentioned and they said that they were out of stock because of the problem and they would get correct ones in 2 weeks. I guess they are having a machine shop fix them or something. Thanks to you they are fixing the problem. Way to go! :excuseme:

i took the anderson racing one and the quality is HUGE and amazing....price is the half, and with many color too.

i took other parts, but this piece is great.

i ordered an anodized red 7 pc set from aaracingproducts on ebay. They fit perfect. They have my name and number on the oil filler cap, my number on the axle blocks, and the front and rear wheel spacers are included. all for 73 bucks. Its pretty cool looking and all fit just fine.

Update. Rocky Mountain contacted me twice by phone about my findings. They offered to replace my parts with some corrected ones but being that I had corrected mine, they gave me a full refund without my even asking.

A rep from them also saw my post here and sent me a private message on TT. He wanted to be sure that I was happy and to tell me that they had contacted people who had bought these and were in the process of getting their parts fixed also. This all happened the same week that I made the phone call and this post. I just did not update due to being out of town.

In the end, I was pretty damned impressed with their follow up. I just wanted to give credit where it was due!!!!!!!!!!!!