Sign in to follow this  

I joined the DR crowd

Last wednesday I bought a new yellow 06 DR650. I've owned an 02 XR650L for the last year and a half and kinda had the new bike itch so I did it. I test rode a DRZ400 and the 650, and the 650 is more what I was looking for. I wanted a bike to set up for adventure touring and I think the DR will be great for that. I rode it as much as I could for the first few days, then went on a 250 mile ride last weekend. All I can say is I love it! I have Acerbis handguards to put on and I'm waiting on the Moose skidplate and the Suzuki luggage rack. I'll probably put some Pro grip 737's on it, a windscreen, and some sort of panniers eventually.

heres some pics of the new beast, and the old one too. Anyone wanna buy an XR?

http://rokklym.smugmug.com/gallery/1539274

Last wednesday I bought a new yellow 06 DR650. I've owned an 02 XR650L for the last year and a half and kinda had the new bike itch so I did it. I test rode a DRZ400 and the 650, and the 650 is more what I was looking for. Ihttp://rokklym.smugmug.com/gallery/1539274

Just curious -- what did you NOT like about the 400 compared to the 650?

I've owned both myself -- just curious.

Hey, just a suggestion for you. I also purchased the Suzi rack, but didn't find out until after I had it that it has a suggested weight rating of 6.6lbs. &%$#@! is that? Would barely carry extra gas. Most people I've spoken with ignore the weight rating, and load it down (as much as it will hold anyway being pretty small), but I'm the paranoid type so looked for other racks.

In my opinion the best rack you can go with for adventure touring is the Ebay rack. 23 1/2" wide, 12" deep and with a suggested weight rating of 30lbs. Got mine for $60. The guy who sells them, Ebay ID alko9396, is currently out of town I think so he doesn't have any currently up for sale. Keep checking though as he is a regular and will return soon. You can also go Pro Billet, a bit smaller than the Ebay but much larger than the Suzi rack, but at $160 much more expensive than the Ebay. Pro Billet does make pannier covers though that match their rack, so if you are thinking panniers that may be an option for you.

I also have the rack from the guy on EBAY, very well built, plenty big, excellent price, 10 min installation, and looks good.

Dang it :excuseme: My new ride !!!

74801507-M.jpg

Time to order a rear rack uhh ???

Yep..Almost cried! 121 miles on the damn thing and I melt the side panel, oh well. The saddlebags wer fine sitting still, but I supposed the wind pressure pushed the bags into the panel, then into the pipe.

I plan to make some guards before I do anything like that again.

Hey, just a suggestion for you. I also purchased the Suzi rack, but didn't find out until after I had it that it has a suggested weight rating of 6.6lbs. &%$#@! is that? Would barely carry extra gas. Most people I've spoken with ignore the weight rating, and load it down (as much as it will hold anyway being pretty small), but I'm the paranoid type so looked for other racks.

In my opinion the best rack you can go with for adventure touring is the Ebay rack. 23 1/2" wide, 12" deep and with a suggested weight rating of 30lbs. Got mine for $60. The guy who sells them, Ebay ID alko9396, is currently out of town I think so he doesn't have any currently up for sale. Keep checking though as he is a regular and will return soon. You can also go Pro Billet, a bit smaller than the Ebay but much larger than the Suzi rack, but at $160 much more expensive than the Ebay. Pro Billet does make pannier covers though that match their rack, so if you are thinking panniers that may be an option for you.

I have seen those before, they are the big square tubing ones right? I did look on ebay but didn't see any. I got the factory rack with the bike, but haven't gotten it yet, so I'll try it. My bud makes a bunch of stuff for BMW's so I might see it he'll make me a new top plate for that rack and reenforce it.

I have the Pro Moto on my XR, nice but expensive!!

How much for the XR?

KBB blue book is $3400+

I'd take $3200 the way it is, its got a ton of stuff done to it! The side panels are pretty scratched and dirty but its a solid bike.

Just curious -- what did you NOT like about the 400 compared to the 650?

I've owned both myself -- just curious.

There really wasn't anything I didn't like about the DRZ. Its a great bike, proven to be tough as nails but its alot like my XR in some ways, tall and dirt oriented.

at first I though I'd get the DRZ and sell my XR. Then I thought, hey I wonder if I could keep 2 bikes, one dirt and one adventure touring. I might still keep the XR, we'll see.