Sign in to follow this  

ttr50 smoking

ok, i think i kind of screwed things up on my kids relatively new ttr50/ elect strt. the other day i was trying to get the idle up a little bit, it seemed rather low and would stall often. i strted messing with what i thought was the idle screw, but may have been something else, is there anything else? air adj?. now it will strt with the choke, idle high, but will die when choke is off. i also noticed that it was smoking a lot and spitting out black oil on exhaust and fender. is it running too rich. my kids were not too happy with me, please help. :excuseme:

Sounds like you have engine oil in the air filter! This comes from the breather hose and when the bike is tipped over and has too much oil. Bike should only read at the half way mark on the indicator when you check the oil. Take the filter off and check and see if there is oil in it. Happend to my nieces ttr50.

Mark

Same thing happened to my sons 90. The airbox was filled with oil, had to take it all apart including the carb and give it a thorough cleaning (twice in the past two weeks). Im in the process of removing the hose and running it straight to atmosphere. I cant stand the design.

thanks guys for the info, that has to be what it is, i also noticed that there was a little engine oil on top of the case, looked like it was dripping out of airbox, i'll tear it apart this weekend and check. thanks again :excuseme: