Sign in to follow this  

yz 125 won't shift

ok i have a yz 125 2000 and it all the sudden won't shift. i changed the oil and it worked for a bit but the gears were off and out of no where the shifter is just stuck after riding for a few minutes. I am pretty sure i need new clutch plates cause it won't move freely when its engaged. it didn't shift very well ever since i got my new top end put on. but i saw on here how you guys helped some one else with his shifter problems and i am hoping i can be helped. the shifter is just stuck and i hope its not life threatening to the bike or my wallet. thanks

A YZ will shift just fine w/o the clutch. You have another problem that can't be diagnosed over the internet.

It's time to tear into your engine to see what's wrong.

It could be as simple as the shifting mechanism, or as complex as a seized up transmission.

i started taking the right cover off but just don't have time to get to it.. i hope its simple... what are some symptoms of a transmission seizing?? cause my bike ran fine shifted well then my clutch was messed up for a few days and out of no where my gears where missing and minutes later i couldn't shift anymore and the shifter will only move like a few mm's up or down about the same distance both ways. i think its stuck in 1st but not sure which was my last gear till shutting it off. i am kind of hoping there is just something stuck in it like a piece of the clutch plate or something easy. but whats easy? if anyone has any advice for what to look for it would be much appreciated.. i might just blow it up. :excuseme:

Say....you haven't been using ATF have you? :excuseme: LOL

ummm i think there is synthetic in it at the moment. if i drain that and put yamalube should it loosen up? it said to put 10w 30 in.. and some one told me to do a synthetic 10w 30 so i did.

ummm i think there is synthetic in it at the moment. if i drain that and put yamalube should it loosen up? it said to put 10w 30 in.. and some one told me to do a synthetic 10w 30 so i did.

What synthetic?

sae 10w 30 synthetic.. i think its mobil clean or something.. probably the wrong kind

sae 10w 30 synthetic.. i think its mobil clean or something.. probably the wrong kind

Some synthetics have friction modifiers that can cause mostly clutch slippage with prolonged use; I don't think it would cause the jammed shifter you are experiencing though; that sounds like something mechanical has gone wrong.