Sign in to follow this  

06 YZ250F clutch problems.. need info

a bit of foresight...

I am an experienced mechanic.. MMI and HonTech grad

I own my own performance shop.. and race an 03 CRF450, ported, high comp 12.5:1, degreed, revalved susp, etc etc..

here's what happened

customer buys a 06 yz250f, brings it in for their standard mods, boysen pump cover, power now plates, oil change, sag set up, attach holeshot device, true and torque spokes, wire grips, basic race set up.. make sure she's ready to go...

after race weekend, customer complains of clutch slippage, so i clean it completely, re-oil plates, reassemble and step away from the half synth oil and go back to a base stock oil (possible contributor to clutch slippage), readjust everything, test, seems ok, instructed customer to test... seems ok, all good for race weekend...

next call... no clutch, engine noise..

teardown reveals the CLUTCH FIBER PLATES EXPLODED inside the basket and shrapneled everywhere in the motor.... ok, something's amiss... this thing is SEVERELY overheated... to the point the clutch springs lost their tension from the heat... teardown motor, clean completely, amazingly the oil pump is ok, piston/cylinder are perfect, cams show no sign of any metal anywhere.... so the oil screen and the filter did their job... reassemble with a high-comp piston and hotcams(they requested), hinson clutch components and a barnett carbon fiber clutch, steel plates and new springs.. i advise customer to change oil OFTEN.. after every race day, and after every other practice ride..

next call... clutch slipping again... teardown reveals ANOTHER severely overheated clutch... now i'm at a loss, seems there's no oil getting to the clutch.. now logic and engine lay out tells me that the oil line running from the oil filter housing, to the trans (and the head) should supply oil to the cross over pipe (brass pipe behind clutch basket gear) that carries oil from one side of the case to the other to the internal of the mainshaft which should come out of the shaft near the throwout bearing for the clutch, thus getting flung to the inner hub where oil should be lubricating the clutch..

this engine has less than 3 hours on it... the customer's upset, and is probably going to pull his hair out after i tell him about the valve recall i just read about...

has ANYONE had any trouble like this?

can anyone point me to a number of a sympathetic yamaha rep that'll listen to this problem??? and/or help?

any help would be appreciated... reply here or @ ridenakedracing at hotmail dot com

thanks in advance!!!!!!

Jonny

what do the clutch springs measure out at? check the specs in the manual

also is the clutch adjusted to tight at the lever and/or case?

lastly if the customer rides it like a 2 stroke, you will go through clutches like a 2 stroke.

I had my 2006 explode also, however I'm using a Rekluse. The last 10 min. of a harescramble she just locked up :excuseme: . When I disassembled her I found the inner two fiber plates broke up causing a finger on the basket to break off and lock up the engine. I flushed it out with diesel and rebuilt the clutch with a Wiseco basket and everthing is good so far, only 2 races. Also I used Honda plates per Rekluse suggestion, but I am pretty sure the Honda plates only work on the Rekluse.

ouch, honda parts in a yamaha.... what a swift kick in the nuts to yamaha..

do me a favor and inspect your new clutch, check for burnt plates, etc etc, and let me know if it's doing the same as this unit... i had exactly the same trouble, except multiple plates grenaded and sent LOTS of metal all over the motor and had the strainer screen pretty full of debris, (yes to the earlier poster, the screen was clear when it was reassembled the clutch free play was properly adjusted, but when it came in there was no free play... assumed to be from the overheating/extreme wear)

the clutch springs were NEW barnett units, when the motor was reassembled after the stock clutch grenaded, and as of now are completely sacked out from the extreme heat... almost 7mm shorter than when they started

put it this way... the inner hub has a steel insert that's either inserted with the hub hot (shrink fit) or pressed in... this insert is now capable of FALLING out into your hand, and as per a Hinson representative this is NOT supposed to happen...

this tells me that it's a lack of oil passing through the transmission shaft to the throw out bearing... but before you say i assembled it wrong with the new components, keep in mind that this happened within 2 hours of use from uncrating the unit and picking it up from the dealership, IN COMPLETELY STOCK TRIM...

as always, thanks for your input... keep the responses coming, i'd still like to talk to a yamaha rep and would need his number

I have the exact same situation going on with an 06. Second fiber plate from the inside has blown two times. I've seen clutch plates break before so I wasn't overly concerned. Now the second time has me wondering. The stock hub was replaced with a new unit after the first blowout, basket has no grooving. The plates are almost dry when pulled out after a moto. I drilled the new hub for more oil flow and again the second friction in broke...I'm at a loss, after the first blow up EVERYTHING was replaced with new.

i'd still like to talk to a yamaha rep and would need his number

SUnruh posted this number for Yamaha (1-800-962-7926) in another post, try calling them to speak to a rep and see if this is something that they can help you with. Please let us know of the resolution to your clutch problem. :excuseme:

do you have the clutch boss springs facing the correct way? I would definately inspect that. If they are reversed, they will cut into the friction plates and tons of drag

The main shaft that carries the oil also lubes the gears on that shaft. Has there been any shifting problems? Did you have it broke down enough to inspect the gears for dis-coloration? Sounds like other people have had this problem so it could be a defect from

the factory. Not enough oil pressure? Was the outer two friction plates the worst? They take the most abuse when you use the clutch and if there was a shortage of oil they would get smoked the most. Good luck

the first time it happened, the bike was COMPLETELY UNTOUCHED, with LESS THAN 2 HOURS ON THE UNIT...

we replaced all the clutch components, basket, inner hub, pressure plate, all fibers and steels, and YES, the innermost boss springs (large washer and angled washer between the inner hub and the first fiber plate) were installed properly.

the second time, same thing, no oil on the plates (when removed, yes i soaked them in oil AND poured oil over the entire clutch pack before the cover was installed) and it appears what oil there was, was burned to all the hinson components in the clutch, while destroying the fiber plates and the steel plates.

i've contacted yamaha, and described the problem, as well as asking about the valve issue but the woman seemed clueless about the valve recall, and will contact me back??? or i'll recontact them...

so far it seems we have 3 total units with clutch issues... please keep me up to date on this, the more data we have when approaching yamaha for a fix, the better chances we have of getting them to rectify the problem...

the last 6 digits of this frame (this is a special edition model) are 007615...

those of you with clutch issues, compare this to your frame and post your numbers, PLEASE!! this info will be invaluable to you/I when convincing yamaha to fix it..

scooter, yes i did inspect the complete transmission, no discoloration, absolutely no shifting trouble, but i did not remove the gears off the shaft, i tore the entire engine down for inspection when the first clutch grenaded and sent shrapnel EVERYWHERE in the motor, and yes, there is/was oil pressure at the last rebuild, i checked at the head bolt near where the oil line comes into the head... even pulled the brass oil transfer pipe, that moves oil from the oil line entering the case across to the other case half that lubricates the transmission bearings AND sends oil to the clutch... so from what i see, the problem MUST be near the clutch throw out arm, or near where oil enters that side of the case...

thanks again for the prompt reply's!!!!! and keep the info coming!!

what kind and weight of oil are you using in the bike? Also what oil filter is installed in the bike? Did you check all the dowl guides for the oil lines? I have seen those pinched/crushed during installation causing oiling issues.

Also how much oil is being installed in the bike?

For what it is worth my frame is 000760.It is a special edition as well.I smoked a clutch the other week after practice at a race.So I drained the oil and installed a brand new EBC clutch.After 2 motors(8 laps)I pulled the clutch out to put a new one in(the last one was my back up)and it appeared that the clutch wasnt getting near the ammount of oil that my 04 was getting.Most of the plates were bone dry while others had a very very light coating of oil on them.

I am useing Belray Thumper 10W-40 oil and either OEM or K&N oil filters and am filling the bike per manual spec measureing the oil in a ratio-rite.

i have the 06 yzf250 and i havent been able to put in 1 moto over the last three weeks because of the clutch fibers blowing up in the basket and going everywhere. and i was wondering if u have seen or heard of anyone breaking the oil delivery line because ive went through 2 of them so far

yamarider909

This seems to be a very big problem for the 06 yz250f. I see these posts all of the time. I have a brand new one with about 5 hrs on it and have already gone through one clutch after only 3 hrs. Yamaha fixed it by putting in new clutch plates and going to a thinner oil(10w-30). A freind took it out for me and ran the piss out of it for 2 hrs at the track. I can't ride for a while, knee surgery two weeks ago. It's killing me seeing that bike in the garage and not being able to ride. Seems to be running fine now but time will tell. I am wondering if this is a manufacturing problem where they just don't get enough oil.

Let's hear about the ones with no clutch problems,it seems like a major fault happening within low hrs. My good friend has about 30 hrs on his, with no clutch issues,but he did just break a valve off the stem. MX ONLY, A RIDER ,DELO 400.His vin is in the 3,000 range,pretty sure.Chime in Mike! I am waiting for my new 06 to get the valves installed ,so you will see me on this forum. :excuseme:

Hey Keith, never experienced any clutch problems with Yamaha's. I do know that when they do go it is usually the inner basket that is the culprit.

bel-ray 10w40, non synth, K&N oil filter... we changed to this after the initial clutch went from amsoil 15w40 synth blend and per hinson's and barnett's recommendations...

yes the locating dowels are all in place.. (yamaha doesnt use head bolt passages as oil passages like honda), oil is introduced to the head through the y-oil pipe and drains back through the cam chain galley)

1.15L of oil was added after reassembly (per yamaha spec) which after initial start up placed the oil level perfectly at the top of the window...

jonnyrocket's bike, #007615 special edition

new2riding's bike

aedwards's bike #000760 special edition

yamarider909's bike

greenbunch's bike(with a rekluse unit installed)

copsey's bike

all with clutch problems... CALL YOUR YAMAHA CUST SERVICE AND LET THEM KNOW!!!!! the number is on the first page of the thread.. tell them about this forum and thread and make SURE they know that this IS NOT AN ISOLATED PROBLEM... we have 6 guys on this forum alone with junk clutches.. how many others are affected?????? we need serial numbers so we can influence yamaha into fixing this situation... please post them!!! copy paste the list to your post, add your vin number and your name (if it's not there already)

if we can reference these serial numbers when calling yamaha, there's NO DOUBT that there's some machining or tooling process that's at fault...

i'll keep everyone posted on what yamaha says to me, if you can do the same..

thanks again guys!!! we're getting somewhere, but a solution hasn't presented itself yet...

Guys, Most bikes tha sit in a crate or on the floor for a period of time will have what I call a half dry clutch. I had one on an 05 wr. The oil runs down while sitting. During (PDI) pre-delivery inspection we will zip tie the clutch lever to the bar during first start up to seperate the plates to allow oil inbetween the plates. If you dont you run the risk of warping the metal plate with in a few miniutes of use. This was the case on our 05 wr. When replacing fiber allow the plates to soak in oil overnight. Fibers are just that fiber that absorbs oil. Just food for thought.