Afraid!

Is anyone else afraid to ride sometimes? I've been riding for years and racing for 4, but just recently I'm scared to ride! A week ago someone died at one of the local tracks we go to and I'm freaked out :bonk: The guy was about my age and was just riding around and crashed and broke his neck! It makes me sad and sick to think about. That could be me or my husband. Also, it seems like there have been many injuries at the races lately, I guess to be expected, but I can't stop thinking that I might get hurt next. I broke my heal a few years ago and it hurt! I've had my share of minor get offs and those hurt too! How do I get past this? I think guys have an easier time accepting the risk and also younger girls and guys. Maybe I'm just old :excuseme:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you can't except the risks and dangers of riding don't ride. If you love riding enough you won't let the risks and dangers stop you from doing what you love best. Remember 100's of people are killed everyday driving there car, doesn't mean to say you are nevous at the wheel of your car right? People die fact doing everything, people get injuired doing everything fact. If your not enjoying riding don't do it.

Exactly. If you are over ridden with fear then get off for awhile. Maybe you will relax after some time. I know I go through phases on occasion but not for a long time.

Death does come to us all we just never know when. Live life to it's fullest or exist.....how ever long that time given to us is.

Good luck, I hope you come back around!

track riding can be a little unnerving, especially if your track has giganto jumps. any number of things can go wrong when you're high in the air. that's why there are lots of paralyzed ex-mxers, and not so many paralyzed ex-offroad guys (although racing at dezert speeds is also fairly hazardous).

get lots of exercise so you stay light, do some weightlifting to strengthen your muscles and particular your core strength, and make sure you have the skills to handle the risks you take.

-mark

Get away from the tracks for awhile. Go out in the hills and freeride. Have FUN. Act goofy, goon ride, go as fast or as slow as you want. Tracks are cool once in awhile but lets face it, niether you or I are gonna be the next great thing so why put pressure on yourself? Remember... KEEP IT FUN!

What is it exactly that scares you? I suggest breaking it down and figuring out what you are worried about. Are you worried about speed? Cornering? Jumps? Or too many other riders? Don't just say crashing either! LOL!

Try to narrow down what is scaring you and perhaps back it down a couple notches for now. Work on the basic skills and enjoy what you are really good at. Build up your confidence by repeatedly doing something well. Then you may find you are up to the challenge of stepping it back up.

The most important thing is to have fun.

That is the kind of fear you can gain control over. Now, if you are finding yourself worried about every day things, then you have an issue that goes deeper than riding your bike.

Best wishes.

Good advice above!

Might have something to do with stress levels too since you posted before that you had some issues with the hubby. Sometimes your body and mind just get overwhelmed with stress and that makes everything seem much, well, stressfull.

Relax, take a break from everyday things if you can, get a massage, read a book or just a short time out from stress and see if you can figure out what is really making you afraid of riding.

When my husband broke his back a couple of years back, I started worrying a bit. I'd just worry he'd do something stupid while I was out riding & it took away my fun factor. My friends thought I was being paranoid but played along with me. I think it didn't start coming right until he'd had his first crash & I saw he was okay. I found out the hard way a broken back isn't a death penalty (and have figured out we know numerous people who've broken their backs or necks & are okay now).

Yeah, accidents happen, we could seriously injure ourselves riding, but we could also be hit by a bus while crossing the road, or we could choke on our food.

Don't let the fear stop you living & doing what you love. Life isn't a bed of roses, but it's up to us to make it as great as we can.

I also know of a couple of guys who landed wrong & died instantly of broken necks - the first one was the worst for me as we were meant to go riding with him that day but couldn't make it. Both were road bikes - the first was his fault, the 2nd was knocked off by a car with his wife right behind him in her car.

The only thing I can think of is ride within your limits, & take care.

Best of luck with your mindset - I sincerely hope you can overcome it.

Good advice above!

Might have something to do with stress levels too since you posted before that you had some issues with the hubby. Sometimes your body and mind just get overwhelmed with stress and that makes everything seem much, well, stressfull.

Relax, take a break from everyday things if you can, get a massage, read a book or just a short time out from stress and see if you can figure out what is really making you afraid of riding.

You know, this is really good advice. I go through these really stupid phases...my saying used to be:

"I'm not going to die young, I have a lot more suffering to do ." Seriously, my life was not a fun life to lead. I had issues.

I have since made some significant changes. I am loving life.....every aspect of it. So every once in awhile I get seriously paranoid. Life is finally what I think it should be, so of course the opposite of above is in my mind. I get so paranoid that I won't ride my streetbike...."I don't want to die today".....I have had to work very hard on myself to get these thought processes to stop. One has to be careful...sometimes focusing on the bad makes the bad happen.....

bbbom brings an excellent point. Stop and try to figure out where this is coming from.....it will help you over come it.

Is anyone else afraid to ride sometimes? I've been riding for years and racing for 4, but just recently I'm scared to ride! A week ago someone died at one of the local tracks we go to and I'm freaked out :bonk: The guy was about my age and was just riding around and crashed and broke his neck! It makes me sad and sick to think about. That could be me or my husband. Also, it seems like there have been many injuries at the races lately, I guess to be expected, but I can't stop thinking that I might get hurt next. I broke my heal a few years ago and it hurt! I've had my share of minor get offs and those hurt too! How do I get past this? I think guys have an easier time accepting the risk and also younger girls and guys. Maybe I'm just old :excuseme:

No, it's just reality rearing it's ugly head. You realize now that you are not invincible and things can happen to people your age. Take some time off from riding the track. Enjoy nature and get back in touch with yourself.

YES! I have had moments where it is very hard to get back on the bike. I've hurt myself really bad a couple time and was very lucky! I took sometime off,(healing) and was able to go at it again. Sometimes things (LIFE) reminds us we are not invincible. As a mother and wife, who also works for a living, we do tend to be hyper sensitive about whats going on around us. BUT! we can not let it stop us from living life. There is nothing wrong with being afraid of getting hurt, its GOD reminding us we are just human! The most important thing is if you really love to ride then you will get over these fears, (or at least not let them control you.) and ride at a level that is comfortable for you.

it also sounds like you are having a rough time else where in your life, so prioritize and take care of yourself first!! :excuseme::bonk::busted:

This is a great subject.

Everyone replying has said great things.

Fear is human. What you do with it, where you store it, it's up to you.

I think talking about it is a great start.

I think everyone's encouragement is awesome.

I know I'm probably more cautious than your average rider. More cautious than I need to be. But being a mom and having responsibilities, I think, requires caution.

Good luck. :excuseme:

I, like you, had fear of riding and getting seriusly injured or paralized. Unfortunatly I still haven't got over it. I look at it like this. Some people are born to ride. Some grow into it. And some are meant to be the support group. I will always love everything dealing around dirt biking. I just know that I personally don't enjoy taking it out on the track anymore.

If you truely love riding don't let what happened to your friend consume you. Let your heart take you. Not your fear of what if. The only thing you fear is fear it's self.

-*-F.Ladie-*-

Fear is human. What you do with it, where you store it, it's up to you.

I think talking about it is a great start.

better yet, do something about it. for me at least, increasing my skill level and increasing my fitness and specifically the muscle development around my knees and shoulders has really helped me be more ready to ride aggressively. take an mx class for the appropriate skill level, and get in shape, and you'll find that your confidence in all areas of life will improve. that can't be a bad thing.

I think the point of the post is about being scared to get hurt riding. We all think about it, especially when it happens to a riding buddy or as we get older and have more responsibility. Everyone deals with it differently and is very common. If you're afraid while riding, stop. More crashes occur because of tenative riding than anything else.

More crashes occur because of tenative riding than anything else.

That is true.

I think a lot of crashes also occur due to people imagining the worst instead of the best. If you see youself in your head, doing something well or badly, chances are you'll be right because your brain controls your body.

When I was in college we had a trainer that worked with our vball team using imagery for increasing our skills. It was pretty amazing how your body would actually respond to what your mind told it, good or bad. We'd do a relaxation thing, then we'd imagine ourselves performing a skill, say hitting or passing with perfect form. Afterwards it was really surprising to see how often everyone's form actually did improve and that was years ago.

I read a recent article about a study where they found that people could improve their form in different sports using imagery, I would assume you could imagine that you are going to case a double (or make any number of mistakes) and your body would follow your mind.

I taught my kids about imagery a couple years ago on the way to one of their mx races. I'd tell them to kick back in the truck or chair, close their eyes and watch themselves taking the holeshot, clearing all the jumps and basically just riding well. It cracked me up the first time my daughter came back from a great race in the 60 class and said that at the line, she'd closed her eyes and watched herself beat all the boys. She didn't beat them all but she came in with one of her best finishes like 3rd or 4th.

If you are riding scared, you are really increasing the chances of making your fears come true. Like said before, relax, take some time and try to come to grips with what the real problem is. Build your skills and that builds your confidence. Good luck.